• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

valves and metal cones= bad mating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm wanting to get a tube amp for my pair of jim holt's statements. i've been coming across a comment or two about how the metal cone wouldn't be the best match for a tube amp due to it's revealing characteristics that seems to make the mids noticeably stand out. have you guys found this to be the general rule? the tube amp i have in mind is ming da 34-AB. Unit well reviewed for it's superb compatibility with just about any demanding speakers. however i do have it's 'micro' brother ming da 84a hooked up to the statements and it does sound nasally which i hope and suspect is due to it's lack of power (12w x2). what do you guys think? should i try out a full sized tube amp or go with a tried and approved mosfet+tube preamp? any experiences in running a tower with tube amps? please let me know. thanks.

On the contrary - I think valves and metal cones are the best combination I've heard. You get the clarity of the metal cones without the hard edge of solid state amps with loads of feedback. I've heard and owned a few such systems - a good 300b SET into Jordan JX92 speakers is a great sounding combination, for instance. The best sound of all is a PP 300b amp into Apogee ribbons - again metal, though in this instance panels.

If you don't have a huge room, then look at a single unit speaker, and check out some offerings from Jordan and Mark Audio for instance, over on that forum. Then you can go for one of the many 300b amps available.

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.