• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

got hold of a bunch of tubes...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got hold of a bunch of tubes from an almost 80 year old man here in Sweden. I paid $25 incl. shipping for all of these and as I do not know anything about tubes really (just got into the whole tube amplifier thing) I was wondering if any of these made the $25 worth it. Both moneywise and soundwise (if any of them are worth building a amp from).

Here goes the list (don't know what is important so I wrote down the things that seemed most significant)

2x GE GL-6136 ***** 6AU6W, seems unused
2x Brimar 5750 6BE6W CV4012 KB/FD (also looks like they are unused)
1 Philips QE03/10 (could be 0E03/10), in original box
1 Sylvania 6AU6A (926 AAR), unknown state
1 Sylvania 12BA6 (AUT 852), unknown state
1 RCA (GV) 6C4 (original box)
2 Philips Miniwatt EF94 (IMPORT)
3 LM Ericsson (SER) 2C51L
1 Sylvania 6EJ7 EF184
1 Philips 6360 QQE03/12 (IMPORT)
1 RCA 7435
1 RCA 6EV7
1 SER 403B
1 BRIMAR ECC83
1 BRIMAR 6C4
2 SER 6BA6
1 Tonic/Ebnic/Epnic (very hard to read) 6197
1 Telefunken 12BA6

Thanks for any clarification for what tubes these are, if they are worth anything and if I could build a decent Amp from any of them

Regards
Johan Bogg

Most are radio tubes, but there are a few that can be useful in audio amps.
ECC83 and 2C51 are commonly used preamp tubes and if new, are probably worth a good proportion of the $25 between them. 6360 is a small transmitting tube that has been used successfully in small audio output stages, but of course you need two for stereo. Similarly with QE03/10.
A nice little headphone/low power SE amp could be made easily from a 2C51 and two 6360's.
The cost of transformers, though, will make the $25 look cheap.

Do a search on the web (or here) using the type number and see how many hits you get that relate to audio. That will tell you the usefulness of the others.

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.