• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 Identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys. I hate to bother you with a question that I'm sure you experts get all the time.... but I really need help identifying a couple 12AX7 I came across. Im curious to know who made these thing, so any help would be appreciated!!!

They are larger than a typical 12AX7. I took a picture of one next to a Sylvania for reference. They are branded by United Electron, and say made in England. The bottom of the glass (center of the pins) reads "15" on one and "3" on the other. The short grey plates are off centered. The halo support rod is connected to the bottom spacer. Hopefully the pictures help clarify what I am talking about....
IMGDEAD]

IMGDEAD]

IMGDEAD]

IMGDEAD]

IMGDEAD]

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Eastern Europe, late '70s, early '80s. The innards look like 12AT7, but they're not. I have the same tubes branded variously as England, Holland, and Germany. For a while, I was getting them at Radio Shack. They are actually pretty good.

I had a bunch of these. I suspect they might be RFT or possibly an obscure West German maker/rebrander.. Sonotone?? IIRC (I had an Ampex deck that came with them stock.)

As SY says they actually sounded pretty good. I would say about as good as Mullard in fact if memory serves. They were very quiet which is important in a tape deck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.