Finding Transformer Building Supplies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2010, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Binaural
Default Finding Transformer Building Supplies

Hello all,

I feel this is probably the best forum for this topic, as the transformers will be constructed for tube/valve circuits, but if not, please feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

As far as DIY transformers are concerned, whether it's an output or power.. etc. I've found more than enough information dealing with their design and construction, however finding the necessary parts for their construction is another matter entirely.

I've done searches on the internet as well as this and other forums trying to find supplies to build transformers, but have been unsuccessful in finding anything.

I have never built transformers, but was going to start with plate chokes as they seem the easiest to produce a successful result and work my way up from there. E I type transformers would also be my starting place, and if necessary move on to toroidal, C-Core or R-core (if it's possible to DIY these without the "machine" they talk about that is used to make them.)

I live near Charlotte, NC so local places would be preferred but I figured I'd have to order them from the internet which is not a problem at all.

Any information is greatly appreciated! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Joe
Old 30th April 2010, 04:41 PM   #2
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

I can purchase transformer material (bobbins, laminations) at our local winder. I imagine this is where you should be looking as well.

However, finished transformers don't cost significantly more than materials needed so I let professions do the work
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 30th April 2010, 06:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thomas & Skinner for laminations:
Thomas and Skinner - Transformer Laminations

Foremost Plastic Products for bobbins:
Foremost Plastic | Standard Bobbins | Plastic Injection
There are other places for bobbins too.

then Mylar, Kapton or Nomex tape
Old 30th April 2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Cannot edit my message anymore: "professionals", not "professions"

What's the deal with Edit button dissappearing after a while anyway ?
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 1st May 2010, 07:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Binaural
hahha, Arnulf, it's ok, I've found my hands to ramble on without my head's permission on a number of occasions. Good thing I'm single huh? (And just to be clear, I'm talking about typing...and nothing else!)

Joe

Hide this!Advertise here!