• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Point to point wiring help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rather than a single proper way, there are several "styles" which work well. Turret boards, regimented components, manhattan style, rats nets...

The primary virtues of proper HT power supply wiring are electrical safety and minimal hum. Things like cooling are a function of component placement rather than wiring.

One book I know of which explains this pretty well (it is often mentioned in this forum) is "Building valve amplifiers" by Morgan Jones.

You could skim through the books at Pete Millet's site, search for "pete millett technical books online" -- I'm not sure if there's one in there which covers this stuff, but it's worth a visit in any case.

The sticky threads in this forum will give you a good head start, too.

Finally you can learn a lot from examining actual P-t-P wired tube amplifiers. But keep in mind that the very old stuff had a lot of bad practices which today would be considered very inappropriate (e.g. old tube radios often had a live chassis, i.e. no isolation from mains). Better is to look at guitar amps for example.

Kenneth

I tend to self supporting bare wires for grounds, solid core.....minimal use of turret boards, only if the wires can't support themselves. Axial caps for straight shots, rather than "kinking" Radials...except socket pin to pin.
Liberal use of heat-shrink tubing for all solder joints, color keyed of course.
After you have settled on a chassis size....increase it by 1 1/2 times.
Try to cross wires at 90 degrees, with lots of spacing(Will require lots of reworking of component location) Locating components is always a trade-off.

_______________________________________________________Rick.........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.