"The Sussex Homebrew Valve Tester" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2010, 02:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "The Sussex Homebrew Valve Tester"

Has anyone heard of/or seen "The "Sussex Homebrew Valve Tester" ? This looks like a really great project ! I would be very interested in others thoughts or opinions about this. It can be found by doing a simple google search ect...
Old 29th April 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I found the link, but you need to be a forum member to download the images and schematics. There's quite a lengthy thread there.
Old 29th April 2010, 05:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is all the info, but you have to be member to download or see.

The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester. - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum
Old 29th April 2010, 05:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Schematic

Valve tester2 circuit
Attached Images
File Type: gif V1-valve-tester-circuit.gif (101.8 KB, 391 views)
Old 29th April 2010, 06:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Valve tester2 circuit.zip

PDF file too big so I zipped it

Last edited by Soonerorlater; 29th April 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 29th April 2010, 06:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Here is another link

Give this a look ! Hope it works > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/Sus...nstruction.JPG
Old 29th April 2010, 07:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Here is the pcb

circuit pcb xray.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circuit pcb xray.jpg (57.7 KB, 323 views)
Old 1st May 2010, 12:30 AM   #8
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Quite a few being built in the UK, my latest circuit is on the link below where I have added a low heater voltage regulator for testing battery valves and a heat sink fan.
Also combined the whole circuit together, I think it is better to download the image and view in MS Paint.
Still in the process of metal bashing. You only have to 'free' register on the Forum to get full access to it.
Regards
Les

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lez/Sus...truction_4.JPG

Notice I added a 50 way D connector to the PCB for easy servicing and the circuit shows the pins I chose for the various functions and signal paths.

Last edited by Hi_Q; 1st May 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Also may I add that I believe the circuit boards and transformers are still available from the Forum members responsible for having them manufactured. The transformers can be supplied with primary voltage for the States. Note that the custom transformer has three separate and thus isolated meter supply outputs for powering the low cost AC powered LCD panel meters as mentioned on the Forum.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi-Q, Has there been any revisions made to the pcb layout to facilitate changes ? If so could you post a picture ? I have ordered a transformer but decided to wait on the pcb till all mods or additions are final.

Hide this!Advertise here!