DIY tube preamp with 5687 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2010, 09:06 AM   #1
ervinl is offline ervinl  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY tube preamp with 5687

I would like to build 5687 tube simple pre amp as in diyparadise. Could I pump out the B+ to 500V or more (e.g. around 600V, as coupling caps limit at 630 V).

If i use 500-600 V as B+, what value, type and wattage of suggested Rp and Rk? What about the filament, should it be floating (I use DC), or should be connected to 0/GND, e.g. to pin 8?

Thanks,

Ervin L
Old 28th April 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Why ?
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 28th April 2010, 03:38 PM   #3
alexg is offline alexg  Philippines
diyAudio Member

I agree with Arnulf, why that high of a B+?
Old 28th April 2010, 04:46 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The 5687 works very nicely with 100V - 200V on the plate, and probably would be rather unhappy at 500 - 600V as it is not really designed for operation at such high voltages. (Maximum rated is 330V)

Pre-amplifiers typically only need to deliver a few volts of signal to the power amplifier so these kinds of voltage levels are not required in this application.

Note that a single tube with a pair of plate to line transformers could make a very nice, simple stereo line stage.
Old 30th April 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervinl View Post
I would like to build 5687 tube simple pre amp as in diyparadise. Could I pump out the B+ to 500V or more (e.g. around 600V, as coupling caps limit at 630 V).

If i use 500-600 V as B+, what value, type and wattage of suggested Rp and Rk? What about the filament, should it be floating (I use DC), or should be connected to 0/GND, e.g. to pin 8?

Thanks,

Ervin L
5687 in mu follower for pre amp, sound very good. and top voltage will be 400-450V (actually 200v for each one). low voltage high current always sound better than high voltage with less current in tube circute no matter for power amp or pre amp
regard tony ma
Old 1st May 2010, 11:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: since 1998 in China as an electronic consulting design and testing engineer
Send a message via Skype™ to tubesteve
Default 5687

i am sorry, but someone who asks this question, should not consider buiding a tube (pre) amp. but he should consider to study first and then start building. looks like: how i can make a tank run 350km/h?
Old 1st May 2010, 01:41 PM   #7
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaiyumtony View Post
low voltage high current always sound better than high voltage with less current in tube circute no matter for power amp or pre amp
regard tony ma
Massive incorrect generalization
Old 1st May 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
I agree with Arnulf, why that high of a B+?

Maybe the goal is something crazy like to load the tube with 10X its internal resistance.

at 20ma the Rp is about 2K and 20ma through a 20K plate resistor will get rid of 400V of that really quickly :-)

I came up with 500VB+
20K load resistor
200 ohm cathode resistor
gives 120V P-K -3.8V bias and 18ma of current.

dave
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave slagle View Post
Maybe the goal is something crazy like to load the tube with 10X its internal resistance.
One can do that with a CCS and get better result with lower voltage so the question to OP remains: why would he want to do something as silly as that ? It is difficult to help when we don';t understand the motivation behind such weird design goal.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:47 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill View Post
Massive incorrect generalization
try 12AX7 with 1 ma compare to WE437A in 30 ma for a same gain pre amp you will have the answer, or same tube 801' sound in 1 kv with only 10ma compare to 220 v with 90 ma the difference even bigger

Hide this!Advertise here!