• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Verdier dual regulated tube psu

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am new here and would like to say thanks everyone for such a great place.
I am also new to DIY audio so I apologize in advance for any dumb questions I will ask.
I have had homebrew amps and preamps over the years built by Korneff and others that I liked very much, but would like to learn to build my own.
I am using Altec Votts with 515 and 299 so am most interested in low power tube amps such as 45, 845, 2A3, 300B, etc.
I am also interested in tube preamps and tube headphone amps.
My question here today is about a Vernier tube power supply I picked up. It is made to power the Verdier Control B preamp (which I do not have). I would like to use this as a starting place to build a preamp. This is a dual regulated PSU.

DualPwer

Here is what the J.C. Verdier site has to say about this unit:

"The "control B" is avalable with the "Dual regulated power supply". That power supply totally electronically regulated, includes 3 tubes, 1 rectifier 5Y3 provides the direct current to the regulation device constituted by a low internal impedance tetrode 6Y6 working with a sharp cut off pentode EF 184 which issues the amplification of the error signal.
The whole fitting allows to maintain the power supply of the preamplifier perfectly constant even if the main current varied between 170 V and 260 V.

(The one I have is made for the U.S. market and is 115V so the above main current voltage will not apply.)

Ok... what I am wondering is if anyone can help me to determine a good preamp design that I can use this psu with. I figure since it's probably good quality and already made up, it will save me some time and expense on the psu portion of the preamp.

First off I don't know what voltage this puts out. I am including pictures and wondering if someone could tell me which wires to touch up with my multi meter and what to set the meter on to determine the output voltage and to determine if it is working. The tubes do all light up, so I am hoping it is a good start on a good quality preamp. It is a pretty heavy duty unit and weighs approx 10 lbs.

It has a 4 pin neutrik socket on back for the output to go to the preamp and wires going to the output are white, red, blue and orange if this is any help.

I will add pics!

thanks for any help
Rob

Attachments

• verdier psu 001.JPG
    verdier psu 001.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 225
  • verdier psu 003.JPG
    verdier psu 003.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 192
  • verdier psu 006.JPG
    verdier psu 006.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.