• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

schematic request for transformer with 4k primary and UL taps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought several NOS output transformers a few years ago and would like to build some amps. My electronics experience is limited, but I have built several 300b amps and a 6SN7 based preamps.

I need some help locating a reliable (preferably simple), nice sounding schematic/design. Here are the transformer specs:

4000 primary w/ UL taps
70 Watt max
320 ma (assumed since this is a 12lb+ (5.6kg) transformer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

If your OPTs are PP (i.e. 4K P-2-P) then how about: Le Renard? This design outputs 37W, is a good match for 4K P-2-P, and sounds great, and doesn't require UL to do so.

6BQ6s are like more powerful 6V6s, however, these don't require such high screen voltages, and so aren't really suitable for UL. Forch, they don't require the extra help, and moderate amounts of gNFB are all that's required.

If your OPTs are PP (i.e. 4K P-2-P) then how about: Le Renard? This design outputs 37W, is a good match for 4K P-2-P, and sounds great, and doesn't require UL to do so.
Thanks Miles. I've never heard of this design. I'll definitely have to research it. Looks like i'll have to research this. I'd prefer designs that others have repeated with success (documentation).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Kevin. I love 300B's, but they're out of my budget range. Do you have any other suggestions? I'm pretty new to DIY, but familiar with safety and layout. Not so much design at this point.

I would say KT88/6550 in that case with the option for triode strapping - would result in about 25Wrms output, and sound quite good.

Send me a PM and I will send you a driver design (not to be shared however) you might find interesting, and is not too complex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.