Anyone going to the Dayton Hamfest? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 10:18 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't expect any of the butt-heads in the auto industry to market something as sensible as that any time soon.
VW sells them in Europe, and they tried here in the 80's but Americans don't seem to want Diesel autos. We don't go for manual trans either, I guess it is too hard to yack on the cell phone (or worse send a text) and shift at the same time.

Quote:
Please let me have a Diesel, manual gearbox, Transit Connect.
Due to some typical stupid regulations (Google the "chicken tax") the Transit Connects are all imported from Turkey with a full interior. Ford then strips the interior out and dumps it in a landfill. Ford and now Mahindra are trying to get this stupid tax repealed.

Quote:
I'm currently driving a 2002 PT cruiser
The Jeep Patriot is essentially a PT Cruiser with a Jeepish looking body shell. The transmission has been replaced with a Nissan CVT (from the Rogue) and the turbo is not available. We just couldn't say no last year when Chrysler was giving a $3500 rebate and the Cash for Clunkers program was adding $4500 for $8K off of a $18,000 car. Where else can you get a new car for $10K.

Quote:
Maybe something like this will keep the volume of purchases low, 660cc with 12lb boost, 38mpg on the highway.
OK, I give up, what is it. It looks far too practical to be sold here.

Speaking of practical (not) we were driving into Charlotte North Carolina on I-77 during morning rush hour and we were passed by a Smart car zipping through traffic doing at least 80 MPH. I don't know what the top speed for a Smart is but it can't be much over 80. What kind of mileage can you get in any car with the pedal on the floor. If you wanted to go 80 you would probably get better mileage in a Civic (for the same price) and maybe even survive the crash!
Old 8th May 2010, 11:13 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default surplus of surplus

Thanks for the tip-off." The Dayton hamfest is the largest in the world. Last year attendance for the 3 day event was 22,000 people. The swap meet area holds over 2500 swap spaces." I've heard rumors, live 100 miles away, but never was invited. I don't talk enough to want a ham radio or a cell phone. I just bought 440 lb of electronic surplus, am having a little trouble getting it into the attic, so I don't know. 3 -7199 tubes, 2-7591's, 4 6BQ5's, 4-12AU7's, 8 12AX7's,2-5AR4's, EF86, 7247. A power transformer that delivers enough 475 VDC for 2 rectifiers, 500 ma maybe? An 8 ohm 12" woofer, 2 8" midrange. Rattles the windows with new electrolytic caps. There is a free one in Philadelphia not bid on on E-bay, another in Bryn Mahr. Hammond runs their tubes gently.

Last edited by indianajo; 8th May 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 9th May 2010, 12:34 AM   #23
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchone View Post
I'm currently driving a 2002 PT cruiser, which has enough extra room so I can haul things when I need to. I like to limit myself to things that I can pick up myself, so that helps a lot. I may just decide to keep the PT (it's paid for, the best kind of car) until something sensible comes along that has a small-block diesel under the hood. A mini-pickup with a 4-cylinder diesel would be perfect, but I don't expect any of the butt-heads in the auto industry to market something as sensible as that any time soon.

Man, we love our PT's, we have a total of 4 in our household now, (2) 01's and 07 & an 08.

Pull out the back seats and you can lay a full size Hammond or Wurlitzer organ inside!
We hauled 5000 tubes and several huge boxes of vintage caps and stuff up from southern IL a few years back and it drove like a Luxury limo! We had it loaded to the ceiling.
Gas mileage was exceptional and we have no plans on getting rid of them anytime soon, (unless its for a 2011 model)
Old 9th May 2010, 01:39 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444 View Post
OK you can stop laughing now
what is it?

(the make and model)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

last years novelty -

for the RF 's

Last edited by tomtt; 9th May 2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: 659
Old 9th May 2010, 01:50 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Man, we love our PT's, we have a total of 4 in our household now
We didn't look at the PT since it is very close to the Jeep that we already have.

We were at the local Chrysler dealer three times during the clunkers deal. They had lots of PT's but they weren't selling because they only qualified for a $3500 deal while the Patriots and Calibres got $4500. When we got our Jeep there were only 4 Patriots and 2 Calibres left, with 10 days left in the program. All of the PT cruisers (maybe 40) were sold in the last 10 days.

During our recent car search I noticed that every used car lot had PT's and Calibres on their lot. Could it be that too many of these cars were sold to people who couldn't really afford them.

The dealer had the upper hand during the C4C program since for the only time in the last 5 years there were more potential customers than there were qualifying cars. We decided to team up with another pair of customers to "tag team" the dealer in order to level the playing field. The other guys were a father and son. The father had flown in from Pittsburgh to buy a car for his son, who had been living in his old Explorer. It turns out that he had the funds to write a check for the car, and we had pre-aranged financing. The dealer wanted 7% for someone with an 820 credit score, yeah right, our credit union was 4.6%.

The dealer was trying hard to sell their cars to people who had little other choice than to accept their "deal". After processing several perspectives for a few hours who couldn't get financed, we left with two of the Jeeps. It took us most of the weekend to buy a car.

It turns out that we bought the Honda from the same salesman at the same Chrysler dealer who sold us the Jeep. We came in, drove two different cars, made one offer, then left. When ce called to accept our low ball offer, we asked for and agreed upon an "out the door" price. We then showed up with a check already made out for that amount. We drove out in the Honda in less than an hour.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
last years novelty -
I have seen stranger things at hamfests. In that case I doubt that that car has working radio equipment. I have spent the last 37 years designing two - way radio equipment at Motorola. With that many antennas on one car there is a high probability that transmitting on one radio will blow up another one. Even if that didn't happen, the radiation patterns would be seriously screwed up. There is actually some science behind where and how to stuff all of those antennas on a cop car for maximum effectiveness.

I have seen some rather "excessive" display of radio equipment at hamfests, but I am not at home so I don't have my pictures.

Last year at Dayton there was a Prius that was totally covered in solar cells. It claimed 7 to 10 miles a day without using any gas. That would work for me since my drive to work is 3 miles and Florida has plenty of sun. Of course it had ham radio equipment.

I have seen several large vehicles (trucks, motorhomes, etc) with the ability to set up a tower rather quickly. My favorite was an old ambulance with a tower mounted to one side. At the touch of one button the tower extends and a 40 through 10 meter beam unfolds at the top. For 160 and 80, a vertical wire antenna is launched by a weather balloon. There were various other antennas for VHF, as well as a Direct TV dish.

At the 2009 Orlando hamfest there was a guy on a Segway with a HF radio attached to the console, and a vertical antenna mounded behind the rider. Many die hard hams thought it was cool, but several didn't like it. They didn't like it enough to have it banned from all of the buildings for 2010 year. They were just jealous that they didn't think about it.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:29 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I wish I could go but it's not feasible from Los Angeles. I do understand that Kenwood is unveiling their new TS-590S rig, although it's not ready for production yet. About time! I love Kenwood rigs. I have a TS-440S, a TS-930S and a TS-940S, not to speak of some VHF gear that I don't use.
Old 9th May 2010, 02:54 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do understand that Kenwood is unveiling their new TS-590S rig, although it's not ready for production yet.
I have friends who have had the Flex-Radio 1500 on order for over a year. The Flex Radio guy said at the Orlando hamfest that he would have 100 of them on hand at Dayton. We will see.

I have a Yeasu FT817 as my only radio. I refuse to buy another radio or my ham SDR project (now in its 2nd year) will never get finished. I'll be collecting parts for it again at Dayton this year. Of course I will be looking for tubes and such, but I will try to resist dragging home large heavy things even if they are free!
Old 9th May 2010, 05:34 AM   #29
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

OH! Well ... I am in Cincinnati ... I think I will go.
Old 9th May 2010, 06:04 AM   #30
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

It seems there are less large antennas or towers around here owned by private Ham operators. Must be the internet is taking over.

I do believe the Dodge Caliber spawned the FWD-AWD jeeps (Compass/Patriot) with Chysler-Mitsubishi-Hyundai engines. I recall it was a 3-way partnership between Hyundai-Mitsubishi-Chysler sharing the engines in design use etc. With the Fiat deal now that may have all changed in that they don't work together anymore. The PT Cruiser was supposed to be discontiued last fall, but they realized it still generated enough sales to help the bottom line. It was based on the last Neon platform. Chysler was a partner with BMW on the Mini engine too using Chysler designs. It turned out to be bulletproof. When they totally redesigned the Mini a few years ago they went to an aluminum French based engine. Not so trouble-free. The Chysler Sebring cars are all Mitsubishi designed platforms with Chysler styling & engine V6 options. The Chysler 300 , Dodge Charger & Challenger, and discontiued in 08 Magnum are all the previous generation Mercedes Benz E Class platform, except the engines. The big Sprinter Van is all Mercedes Benz with the body & suspension built in the U.S. along with final assembly. It's a unibody, replacing the previous one Chysler also sold which had a full frame design. It sure beats those old Dodge Vans which went back to the 70's. I drove a few of the 15 pass. ones years ago and found they took an extreme amount of attention to keep in ones lane. They had been just carefully safety checked.

Have fun!

Randy

Last edited by rmyauck; 9th May 2010 at 06:32 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!