12AY7 plate current - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2010, 05:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 12AY7 plate current

I have a 12AY7 preamp project and, in reference to the plate characteristics chart, I can achieve a preferred operating point over a range of plate currents. Are there any advantages to running the tube at a higher current; that is, would you purposely run a higher current draw than you need?
Old 23rd April 2010, 06:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Higher current can create more noise. And drive requirements may increase. I don't see any advantage. Why are you using that tube? The 12AX7 is usually the preferred type, or one of its fancy numbered equivalents, like 7025 and the like.
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:38 PM   #3
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Tubes are usually more linear when their operating point is chosen so that Iq is higher. Refer to dynamic characteristics graph in tube's datasheet for more information,
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 23rd April 2010, 08:27 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob91343 View Post
Higher current can create more noise. And drive requirements may increase. I don't see any advantage. Why are you using that tube? The 12AX7 is usually the preferred type, or one of its fancy numbered equivalents, like 7025 and the like.
12AY7s have a broader bias range compared to the AX7 at the same B+. In this app I ran out of input headroom with the AX7 and didn't need the higher gain, anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!