A small question... maybe not - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2003, 12:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question A small question... maybe not

Hi all,

I'm aiming at a fully balanced amp which can receive both SE and balanced signals (if it's possible at all).

Hence,I was wondering - what happens if you feed an SE signal into a fully balanced amplifier? Do you need to add an input relay/switch that will short the negative pole of the XLR input to ground?

OR

If i feed a balanced amp an SE signal then since the portion of the diff. amp that was supposed to recieve the inverted signal (- of the XLR) see's 0V of input then the diff. amp will amplify the incoming SE signal as the difference between the SE signal arriving and the 0V on the negative pole?

OR

none of the above?

I hope you understand what i mean - i'm finding it difficult to put it more clearly for some reason

Cheers,
Guy.
Old 17th June 2003, 12:40 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It depends on the topology of the balanced amp. Some will take care of it for you, others will have distortion problems. The easiest way around that conundrum is to build a simple (one chip or two transistors) unbalanced to balanced converter. Or for more $$$ and less bandwidth (may or may not be a good thing), use an input transformer.
Old 17th June 2003, 08:01 AM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Unbalanced source to balanced amp

Your balanced amp will probably have a transformer or differential (LTP) input.
In that case it's fine to connect an unblanced signal to the + input and unbalanced gnd to the - input (or vice versa).
Of course you loose the balancing benefits.
Sometimes it helps to add a decoupling cap between the unbalanced gnd (shield) and the amp signal gnd. I have used 100n previously. This improved the overall s/n.
Example from
http://www.dhaen.org.uk/vdocs/845.gif
Attached Images
File Type: gif ltp.gif (3.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 18th June 2003, 02:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for both your replies - is there some a priori way to see if it can work (without an input traffo)?

Cheers,
Guy.
Old 18th June 2003, 02:49 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, just try it. If you've got a scope and a generator, you can see directly whether or not it will work. If not, use music and listen- the distortion will be obvious. There's little to no danger of breaking anything by trying this.

Hide this!Advertise here!