In recapping Amp - Choice of Caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2001, 08:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default In recapping Amp - Choice of Caps?

I recently dug my old Pilot SA 232 out of the closet(which I bought new) and decided it was time. I replaced the cans and then variaced it up. There was hum on one channel so I assume it is one of the remaining caps(which I know now I should have just taken care of in the first place). M y question is which ones to go with. Most of them are .047mfd and .1mfd @400volt. The choices in this size seem to be metallized polyester or polypropylene. Does it make a difference? And is there another choice to consider?
Many thanks for your input,
Norman

P.S. I used NOS cans. I've heard different views on the wisdom of this.
Old 30th December 2001, 04:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Norman,
I no longer trust people when they say NOS. Unless it's in original shrink wrap (which won't be the case for anything worth having), there's no telling what the deal is.
Given a choice between polyester and polypropylene, I'd go polypropylene. I only use polyester for experiments, since they're cheap and readily available. Once I've got the circuit locked down, I change out the polyester caps for better stuff.
It can get pricey depending on how fancy a cap you want. Fancier still is polystyrene, but those are getting rare; as I understand it, the folks who used to make the styrene film discontinued the item. You want the scary stuff? Go Teflon. Call 911 if you have a heart attack upon seeing the prices.
Film & foil is better than metallized.

Grey
Old 1st January 2002, 10:42 PM   #3
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

I don't trust NOS either . As i know some valve manufactory especially from China if u order from them u can request to print any logo u like ....... GEC, Mullad,telefuken .....etc ! So choice your valve in caution !
Old 3rd January 2002, 09:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've had good luck with the MultiCap RTX polystyrene caps from Welborne Labs. There are probably better caps around,but there's lots worse.
Old 5th January 2002, 09:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not expensive and do the job are Sprauge Orange Drops. You can't go wrong but you can do better. Personally I like the old oil Vitamin Q types for coupling caps but they are kind of hard to find.

Hide this!Advertise here!