FireFly Single Ended Tetrode - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th August 2010, 02:29 AM   #91
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Amp II is finished, up and running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Two_Amp_II-2.JPG (208.7 KB, 281 views)
Old 28th September 2010, 11:15 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Nice work!
Old 29th September 2010, 12:51 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Thank you. Amp II got moved to the bedroom along withthe speakers I made.

I guess I'll need to start Amp III when I'm on Christmas Vacation.
Old 29th September 2010, 04:21 PM   #94
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish View Post
Nice work.

Another idea for open frame output transformer mounting is to take the pressed steel mounting bracket off and cut a hole in the chassis so that you can rotate the transformer such that the electrical connections are below the chassis and the laminations are parallel to the top plate.

Cheers,

Chris
I tried this on my CELLINI amp. I wasted a good chasis by cutting the big square holes first. When I took the pressed steel mounting brackets off the OTs, they promptly fell into pieces. Remember, they are gapped, so there's a big piece of laminated iron held in place by the mounting bracket and nothing else !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th September 2010, 05:04 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Oh my! Thanks for letting us know that Bigun. I'll not try it then. I hope you were able to re-assemble them.

Are there holes in the corners such that one could (carefully) drill through the bracket and still be able to mount the transformers horizontally with screws and nuts?

Next set will probably be built with GXSE10-8-5Ks that should be in this week. I need to get a better power transformer than the Allied ones I used previously. I think I can cut distortion significantly by upping Ik from 36mA to 50+mA. The Allieds were nice and inexpensive, but just not enough current capacity.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:18 PM   #96
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Oh my! Thanks for letting us know that Bigun. I'll not try it then. I hope you were able to re-assemble them.
Luckily, yes. I would suggest keeping the OTs inside the chasis with the power trafo on top - a steel chasis provides some magnetic isolation between them.

I like the tetrode amp. I have some 6E5Ps to play with somewhere...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:10 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Bump. Wife wasn't happy with a painted metal chassis in the bedroom so I built a Red Oak cabinet for the black amp. I couldn't do a wood bezel as I already had the controls set and they would have been recessed too far.

I have to get some 1-1/4" long 10-32s before I can mount the feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Firefly_in_Wood_Housing.JPG (194.5 KB, 96 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!