• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help With Left Channel Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

After enjoying some sonically significant upgrades to a Cary SLA 70A Signature EL-34 P-P amp which includes a complete re-tube, new filter caps, coupling caps and cathode bypass caps I'm dissapointed that a low level hum still exists in the left channel. Although you have to place your ear close to the speaker to hear it, I'm somewhat surprised that the issue wasn't resolved along with the recent component changes. The right channel is dead quiet, btw.

I've attached a schematic but need to warn you I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to utilizing them. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• Cary Audio Design SLA-70 schematic.jpg
    Cary Audio Design SLA-70 schematic.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 168
The resistor in the filament wiring is marked SELECT so maybe you need to change that one. That's the one at the bottom of the diagram.

Else you may have a heater-cathode leakage on the 6SL7; did you swap them?

If the two channels are operating from separate power supplies perhaps one supply is not properly filtered; look at the 500V electrolytic capacitors.

Are the two units wired identically? You could have a ground loop injecting hum into the amplifier input.

The resistor in the filament wiring is marked SELECT so maybe you need to change that one. That's the one at the bottom of the diagram.

Else you may have a heater-cathode leakage on the 6SL7; did you swap them?

If the two channels are operating from separate power supplies perhaps one supply is not properly filtered; look at the 500V electrolytic capacitors.

Are the two units wired identically? You could have a ground loop injecting hum into the amplifier input.

Both the inverters and filter caps are new. All the tubes have been replaced.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.