• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Aikido Janus Shunt PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A well built shunt regulator will be an improvement for an Aikido amplifier.
Though I didn't use the Janus regulator I am using the Salas HV shunt regulator (thread here on Diyaudio) in my Aikido headphone amp.
It was a very noticeable and worthwhile improvement especially in terms of transparency and soundstage.

Well built, excellent layout, no line regulation

I bought it to complete my total rebuild of a tight and unemotional sounding canary CA-801SE preamp. It just so happens that the Aikido Octal Dual mono and the Janus shunt regulator fits with no mods required except for a change in the rectifier tube to fit the height and filament supply.

Extremely easy to build. I substituted all 47uF lytics with VALAB 47uF 500V film (and they fit).

Scoped it and there is NO hash at all. BUT if you tune the scope to sweep at 250ms or slower, you will see the lack of a reference V for line regulation causing slow dips and spikes of up to 30mV or so. Not good.

The sound is not necessarily tubey and it does not really help with warmth.
It does suppress piano transients vs no regulator.

Much easier to build than Jan D.'s linear audio regulators but it falls short with no line regulation.

Using just one reg for both channels works like a charm, I recently finished another headphone amp (C3G spud) with a Salas HV shunt reg. Now I can pull my hair which one sounds better...;)

The Salas reg should go up to 330V... to be sure just ask on the thread (in the power supplies section). Up to about 80-ish mA (55mA into the load in my Aikido) the Salas reg works very reliable, I had no worries whatsoever for about a year of playing time now. Recommended.

I didn't follow all of the thread lately, but the schematic attached seems to be the latest. There also was a groupbuy for boards by the same quanghao using the same schematic. P2P is perfectly doable though.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Cricuit-'Simpler-Simplistic.jpg
    Cricuit-'Simpler-Simplistic.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,856
Hi,

has anyone recently used JB's Janus Shunt PSU for their aikido?

would it provide a significant improvement in sonics?

for the 12dw7 tube, the heater voltage has to be a seperate transformer
from the rectifier and aikido tubes?
thx

Hello,
I have not used the Janus Shunt. BTW the Janus is not a voltage regulator.
I do use this PS-2 SOlo High-Voltage PS and Regulator PS-2 Solo for a 6SN7 Aikido and Aikido Cathode follower. I am very happy with the performance. No hum No buzz no hiss, sounds great. Buy it as a kit it is quick and easy and not too much $. Next I will play with the Salas HV shunt regulator.
Dt
All just for fun!

Another question :)

After reading through a lot of threads I think I've figured out how to connect my transformer (Hammond 370FX) to the janus pcb. The transformer has centre taps for both the 6.3v and 5v lines.
Am I correct in thinking both these centre tab wires can be ignored (insulated and tugged away) and only connect the + and - wires to the pcb?

I'm using 6SN7 tubes for the octal boards and a 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier.

My last question was answered by mr. Broskie but his reply left me a little confused once again. He wrote:

'I would use the 6.3Vac winding in the voltage doubler rectifier configuration and then set the heater regulator to 12Vdc output.'

This confused a bit because i'm using the ps to power 2 octal mono boards with 6sn7 tubes and these require 6.3V.

So, having said that, would i use the voltage doubler configuration? And then wire the tubes on the octal boards in series?
Or should I use the FW bridge configuration? And then wire the tubes parallel?

Are there any benefits or disadvantages either way?

Help is appreciated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.