adding line out to guitar tube preamp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2010, 09:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

All this is very interesting. Thanks to all of you for helping me, I learn more each time.

If I am right, the output of the opamp is the right place to connect the line out jack but it 'll only work if the led is on. So I have to install the new circuit only to get the correct output when bypass is on (led is off).

See schematic in attachment (I guess the gain pot is the one indicated in red?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VT911schematic+lineout3.jpg (60.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 15th April 2010, 10:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I don't like that gain method. The bandpass of the amplifier becomes a major issue, and you could be changing the amplifier response as well as inviting oscillation. The volume control on the right is all the gain control you should need. If you find that the system has too much gain, I'd sooner recommend a passive control.

Also, don't connect the outputs of the source follower and opamp together like that. If you use the opamp you can dispense with the source follower.

There are so many options that it's best you decide exactly what you want this thing to do and configure it accordingly.
Old 16th April 2010, 01:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

When you talk about the gain, is it the one indicated in red?
If yes, this does not seems to be the best schema for gain control and, you are right. The major complain regarding this stompbox is that the gain pot is reacting too strongly (even with a log 500 K pot). I thought it was related to the tube but you might have put your finger on the real cause. Nevertheless, this preamp is used for guitar and should only have responding frequencies from 100 Hz to 4000 Hz (or so). Maybe it is not affecting the sound too much? Anyway, your suggestion is to remove the opamp just under the gain pot? I am right?

Regarding the outputs of the source follower, the 10F cap is polarized. Is it not enought to protect to source follower?

If I remove the source follower there 'll be big decrease of the signal when the stompbox is switched off (true bypass). I need to have a low impedance signal also when it is off. Any suggestion?
Old 16th April 2010, 01:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't know if removing that opamp will sacrifice too much gain. If it works without it, take it out.

The line out is being driven by two amplifiers, which is bad practice. They are conflicting and the output should be a single stage, either the source follower or the opamp on the right. The capacitor isn't the problem.

You will not have true bypass with the power off because the source follower will not work. You need to switch the input to the output and disconnect the rest in order to get a true bypass. Your DPDT switch can do that.
Old 16th April 2010, 04:43 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I did not see the thread before, sorry.

Actually for a line out you need to add a line transformer, nothing more. Take one 10K:600 Ohm, and connect 600 Ohm output to tip and ring of TRS socket; a sleeve end connect to ground.

That's it.

Standard line out to connect to mixer or recording device has to be symmetrical, 600 Ohm. Even if input is 10K and asymmetrical, such an output helps you to eliminate possible interferences because of a ground loop absence.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:25 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I 'll give it a try and let you know.
Old 16th April 2010, 03:47 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Wavebourn,

If I just add a line transformer, when the pedal is switched off, the volume 'll drop down, no? I want the pedal volume to be almost the same on or off.

Regarding the symmetrical connection, you are right, this 'll avoid interferences (specially if the cable to recorder is long).

So now I have to add a line trans. to the previous schema and reconnect it to avoid the signal going to line out to pass by two opamp when the effect is on.

I don't see how to do that without a 3pdt switch. Any suggestion?

Last edited by hacaira; 16th April 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 16th April 2010, 04:07 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Here is what you suggested (see attachment).

I 'd like to have your opinion on the volume difference between effect on and off. Do you think that the level 'll be very different?
Attached Images
File Type: png VT911schematic+lineoutUsingLT.png (163.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 16th April 2010, 04:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Yes, such a way when you switch off an effect your guitar's output is loaded on a transformer. I would suggest you to take direct output from the 1'st opamp (buffer) instead of from input.

Also, why do you crossed out by red a stage that overdrives tubes and allows to control overdrive?
Old 16th April 2010, 06:12 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Yes, such a way when you switch off an effect your guitar's output is loaded on a transformer.

Does it mean that the volume level 'll be acceptable when effect is off?

Also, why do you crossed out by red a stage that overdrives tubes and allows to control overdrive?

Well, the idea was that it might be obsolete. If the overdrive is only controlled by a pot, is it not enought? In fact I was looking for the reason why the overdrive is raising so quickly (after turning the pot just a little bit).

I 'll redraw and post it soon.

Hide this!Advertise here!