Anyone know anything about the Luxman A-2003 tube xover? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone know anything about the Luxman A-2003 tube xover?

Hi All, I just got a Luxman A-2003 tube crossover and know nothing about it. I can't find very much about it on the web. It was a kit that did not sell very well as far as I can tell. Cheers.
Old 14th April 2010, 10:28 PM   #2
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Is it a Luxkit? I have a bunch of Luxman/Luxkit brochures stashed around here somewhere. Most they probably will have is a few specs and possibly crossover freqs. I picked these up in Japan (Okinawa actually) back in the 80s, and yes they are in Japanese. I'll look around if you are interested.

Craig
Old 15th April 2010, 12:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

That would be great Craig. It does not say "Luxkit" on it but the lit I've found so far (which is not much) has pix just like this one. On the front face plate it does say "customed by Luxman" so it might be factory. I don't know.
Old 15th April 2010, 01:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

There were several Luxkit versions of the factory made Luxman. I built a Luxkit A3034 which was actually a Luxman CL34. I also have a CL32 which also had a kit version, A3032. You can usually tell by the workmanship inside unless it was built by someone well versed in assembly. I'll see what I can find, don't remember seeing a crossover but never really paid much attention because I've never had a use for one. Have you been on the Luxman Yahoo Group forum? I know it's rough trying to find Luxman info, if I hadn't been where I've been I would know far less. What was cool about their line of kits was not only was there audio kits but test equipment kits too, Japanese Heathkit! Still regret not getting more whilst there.

Craig
Old 15th April 2010, 04:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yep, I sent a message to the Yahoo forum asking to joint but I've gotten no response so I assumed it is not active. The workingship on this piece is factory level. I'd be surprised if it was assembled by an individual.
Old 15th April 2010, 04:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Some of those Yahoo Groups seem take a while, especially if the person in charge is gone. Be patient.

Craig
Old 15th April 2010, 04:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

djn,

I went thru all of my Luxman stuff and no crossover to be found. All of my lit. dates from 81-88, so either it's before '81 (probably) or after '88, sorry.

Craig
Old 15th April 2010, 04:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Just looked on Audiogon and it's from 1973.

Craig
Old 18th April 2010, 11:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You can find some useful informations about the LUXMAN A-2003 tube x-over here:

ACTIVE LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM: Subwoofer, Construction, Cabinets, Electronic Filter/Tube Crossover, Amplifiers, Units.

(scroll down to the very bottom of the page)

And you could also order a full A-2003 manual with many extras from the same source.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default LUXMAN 2003 TUBE 3 way X-over

RE the LUXMAN 2003 tube X-OVER :

They MADE 2 versions, (factory built & kit ) and 2 models ( 3 way #2003, and a 2 way # 2002 from 1975- 1978 ? I was fortunate to buy a factory fresh 3 way unit in 1978 --AND THEY ARE RARER THAN A HOUNDS TOOTH !
Luxman later produced a S.S. version, loaded and crammed to the gills.... me no likie, as impossible to upgrade or even service.. like todays cars ... besides NOTHING beats the maxed tube set up IMO...

Of course there is the CLASSIC Marantz 2 way tube xover ( 2 chassis with seperate power supplies no less ) smart -- and they command respect and BIG $$$ also--- a real fine 2 way, but are JUST to Limited for my 4 way tri-amp BIG system -) ditto ....that also goes for the ARC 2 and 3 way TUBE units, as they have level controls on the rear, a real hassle, and dont have slide out adjustable X-over cards ( a snap with Luxman ) and I WONT waste my ears listening to any S.S. types, ( Accuphase, Pioneer,...) as for me, HAVING all the control and options for ANY x-over points, levels, etc YOU WANT= LUXMAN 2003 XOVER is IT- cause it has it all for ya !

In my opinion, the LUXMAN all tube ( 8 x 12AU7 ) 3 way/ 2way/ & mono sub Crossover --- is the SINGLE most important component in a SERIOUS audio system-

NOW especially if modified with high quality ( PI0 ) paper in oil caps ( 22 pcs ) in addition to the X-over point caps ( 16 pcs ) - AS the original caps ( polystyrene ) and polyproplene are crappy and cannot compare with PIO, JENSEN and other TOP CAP manufactures of today - and also isolated power x-frmer - and replaced signal wiring thru out ( litz pure copper/ Ptfe dialectric ) and gold RCA's jacks installed ( 8 pcs )
OH ...... and dont forget PREMIUM quality MULLARD tubes --- or TELefunkins if you must for the ' edge ' they provide ( 8 pcs ) and you have ALL YOU NEED FOR GAIN/ LEVELS low, mid, high,Left & Right CONTROL/ X-OVER POINTS / SLOPE * and viola = elimination of ALL the PASSIVE X-OVER ' tone/dynamics/bandwidth/IM distortion/damping factor/ TONE SUCKER devices ( choke, caps, resistors, pads, wire, connections --- uuugh )

I find it to be the MOST effective/ easy* device to bring the BEST your gonna GET out of your component system-- and once experienced, even just 1/2 right---- you will NEVER look at PASSIVE x-over again ... for any serious system--

* Luxman slopes @ ( 6 & 12 db ) does not offer the higher ( 18 & 24 db )slopes BUT ... if you have to HAVE 24 db slopes --- it will hurt phase relationships a x-over points MORE-- and to me ?? It also means you got the wrong mix of speakers or x-over points for starters -- i personally find the 12db slope ' sufficient ' for my system-- AND- by adjusting low pass & high pass x-over points to either OVERLAP OR UNDERLAP at times, AS I DO --- just a twist on the FRONT panel controls - and your set

AND it is IDEAL device to taylor CD, vs Vinyl, Tape and master to mastering differences with various source material to be played --with a couple adjustments to levels & x-0ver pts

NEGATIVES > the only bummer is with the 'pull-out' capacitor cards ( cheapo tin plated ) contacts for critical x-over points selected ....SO .... U got to keep em REAL CLEAN and TIGHT --- and especially if near ocean/ mositure conditions -- OR you can replace with gold or silver versions ..if you find em.... ( 8 pcs ) ok so denatured alcohol and deoxit 5 --- 2x a year ....

THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM ---having the right support componets (woofs/ mid/ tweets spkrs) and power amps ( tubes for mids and tweets, and S.S> @ 200hz down- and KNOWING how to adjust and set it up for MAX performance in YOUR system -

the REWARDS>>>>DYNAMICS=NO tone suckers above = amp to sprk period / bandwidth control * / distortion= virtually non existent even @ performance levels 95-110 db @ 12 ft in my system- the closet to live I have ever heard and FELT in 40 yrs of ' buying and trying ' it all

the occasional ebay listing 1 or 2 a year - ebay has 2 way listing of KIT version - very very clean -- but will need mods to really perform it's best for you...so dont just settle for STOCK unit IF you want to really hear what it can DO --

The 23 page owners manual is VERY GOOD, and covers ALL aspects of operation and setup- and is very very important to have to properly understand and USE this gem- including schematics, component layout, and even PC circuit traces no less ---sweet and is available on line and worth it.

enjoy

tube dog

ps - as a musican, (of 45+ yrs ) - I have yet to hear S. S. anything ( pre amp, power amp, etc ) regardless of cost, begin to deliver the REAL sound that TUBE systems deliver all day long = cause they can't -- for a lot of reasons-- geee ever wonder why the BEST mics in the studio are ALL tube ?? ever see a guitar player use a S.S. amp--- ??? no.... there are tube arent they.?... wonder what they know ? -- sorry, s.s. has its place = 200 hz and below into mono block amps ---- car stereos and boom boxes ....

Hide this!Advertise here!