• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Buzzing AC relay coil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I have a largish AC relay I want to use for B+ switching. The coil is rated 230V 50-60Hz. I get a rather loud buzzing sound from the coil when energized. This makes it not so suitable for audio use, of course.

Occasionally, though, it slides into a state where it is very quiet. It would be great if I could get it to do that every time. Anybody have experience or ideas on how to snub AC relay coils?

Thanks
Kenneth

You need voltage to drive current through a coil to produce a magnetic force to close the contacts. When your 60 Hz AC cycle falls to zero there is no voltage, therefor no current and no magnetic flux to pull in the magnetic circuit.

The AC relay you have has a shading pole ring on the armature. What it does is keep current flowing in the ring when the instantaneous AC voltage drops during the low part of the cycle. (I will not go into how and why it works.)

Sometimes the ring gets loose and it will buzz. Other times it could be a loose lamination in the armature that causes the hum. The hum is intermittent in your case so it sounds like a mechanical issue with your relay. You could try a drop of cyanoacrylic glue to bond the loose part together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.