• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Beginner Tube Stereo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anybody seen this page?
Five Tube Stereo Amplifier

I'm thinking of building my own tube stereo amplifier.
What are your opinions on this schematic? It looks fairly easy to build for me, but what kind of audio quality should I expect from this "push pull" design?

I'd be using this to drive normal magnet speakers. But I'd like to add a headphone jack. I'm not totally sure if the chassis would be HOT. I think it might be. Also I will be using it with my computer's sound card.

Civic,
I think there are a few caveats first.

Yes, it's fairly easy, but...

One, It's not push-pull - it's single-ended.
Two, the chassis is only hot if you make it hot. The schematic doesn't show that.
Three, audio quality will be very dependent on the bias point, the OT load and the parts you choose.
Four, it's not meant for headphones, unless you have 4 or 8 ohm 'phones.

Maybe you might consider a bit more research/learning before you dive in....
Bill

Iron will be expensive considering the power output (it is Single-Ended, not Push-Pull design).

Replace input tube with 1x ECC83/12AX7 for both channels, use any of the bazillion ECC83 gain stage schematics floating around.

If you're fond of plate-to-plate feedback, have a look at RH84 schematic. It is just as simple as this one, but tested by quite some members of this forum so they might be able to give you some tips (plus the author is/was a member here as well).

A very simple schematic otherwise, only volume control. Some people might like that - are you one of them ?

No bass and treble controls?

Omitting tone controls is par for the course, these days. FEW recordings benefit from tone controls. Unless they can be totally switched out of the signal path, tone controls garble good recordings. A decent circuit for tone controls is not simple. Please refer to the uploaded schematic designed by Max Robinson, which requires 2X 12AX7s for a single channel. :(

Attachments

• Tone_Control.jpg
    Tone_Control.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 498
Price out the xformers when you look at designs, and then compare that cost to the cost of buying a 60 era integrated that you can rebuild. You get the power xformer, output xformers chosen for the output tubes, a chassis, face plate, and a wire layout that should minimise hum. Plus, generally the feed back circuit has been is in place.

After you rebuild it, you can then decide if you want to build from a schematic, source the xformer, chassis and parts.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Iron will be expensive considering the power output (it is Single-Ended, not Push-Pull design).

Edcor makes some very acceptable iron at reasonable cost. How much power can you expect from a single ended 6V6? Maybe 5 watts in pentode mode? Try the five watt GXSE single ended output transformer for less than $35 a pair.

EDCOR - GXSE5-8-5.5K

They're decently sized transformers; certainly more beefy than some I've seen scavenged from vintage consoles. Sure, they're not even going to begin to compete with transformers from Mike LaFevre or Jack Elliano. Hashimoto and Tamura aren't worried either. Still, these are some solid transformers at prices that shouldn't be overlooked by the novice. The photo shows them with a pair of noval tubes and sockets for size comparison.

th_P1130289.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/Ty_Bower/DirtCheapSE/P1130289.jpg

Last edited:
5 tube stereo reply

Has anybody seen this page?
Five Tube Stereo Amplifier

I'm thinking of building my own tube stereo amplifier.
What are your opinions on this schematic? It looks fairly easy to build for me, but what kind of audio quality should I expect from this "push pull" design?

I'd be using this to drive normal magnet speakers. But I'd like to add a headphone jack. I'm not totally sure if the chassis would be HOT. I think it might be. Also I will be using it with my computer's sound card.
yes ive built that amp. it sounds very nice off my computers equalizer. sounds a bit dry off my cd player. it make my grundig mini short wave sound great. i used left and right volume controls only. make sure to vent the chassis. there will be three resistors that get hot. you can play around with your choice of tubes. i used 2 6k6gt and 1 6sn7 and a 5y3 rec. btw, that is a single ended pair of amps.

yes. i built that amp already. sounds very good. i use it for netflix and the computer. i changed the tubes to 2 6v6 and 1 6sl7. i like it. its not going to fill an auditorium, but it fills the living room nicely. about 5 watts per. using old university coax 12 in speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.