• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone own an HH Scott LK-72 Integrated amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a LK-72 recently, fixed some power supply issues and recapped it and I am very happy with the results. I am in the process of fabricating a bottom chassis cover plate as mine came to me without one. Problem is I have never seen one and have no clue as to the layout of the ventilation holes. I was hoping that someone might post a photo or a drawing of the layout. Also I notice that their are no screws in the front side of the chassis for the cover plate. Is there an air gap in front between the cover plate and the chassis?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

I've previously owned one, but it was sold a while ago. If building from scratch, I'd just put some holes underneath the power supply area and the strip of power tubes. The panel had a 90-degree bend on the front end, with about a 0.5" lip, which slid into the slides right behind the front panel. This kept it rigid enough not to need screws there.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes. I like the idea of the 1/2" break. That will take some of the bow out of the front panel and make it more rigid. I'll drill a pair of 1/4" holes midway between each power tube and a matrix of six under the power supply resistors. That ought to do it.

I would double that at a minimum. I have had a lot of Scott amps and still have a 299. The more air you allow to circulate in the chassis the better - they run rather warm.

Do NOT leave your amp running unattended for long periods of time either, and make sure it is really well ventilated. Back when I had the business and was servicing a lot of vintage Scott gear some people thought it would be a very smart idea to leave their amps running continuously - in almost all cases this resulted in pretty rapid failure of the power transformer. (A few weeks at most) I must have seen at least 3 or 4 amps that failed this way in a short period of time.

Your LK-72 is essentially a 299C just in "kit" version.
So the 299C bottom plate cover should be a perfect fit for you!
I took several pictures for you of the 299C bottom plate. I hope this is helpful.

I have owned no less than four different HH Scott 299 series tube Integrated amps, each differ from one another however, they are ALL 299 incarnations and FABULOUS little tube integrated stereos.
SWEET sounding, too!

At Present I own an HH Scott LK-72b. This is my FAVORITE of ALL of the HH Scott Integrates. (I love this amp so much.)

The LK-72b is essentially just a 299D in "kit" version. This was the final and LAST incarnation of the venerable Scott 299 Integrated series.

Attachments

• 299C bottom plate cover.jpg
    299C bottom plate cover.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 299C bottom cover.jpg
    299C bottom cover.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 209
  • 299C bottom.jpg
    299C bottom.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 213
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip>
The LK-72b is essentially just a 299D in "kit" version. This was the final and LAST incarnation of the venerable Scott 299 Integrated series.

I too have owned all 4 of the 299 series as well as a 296.. I thought the best sounding by far of all of those was the 299D, then perhaps the 296 following just slightly behind with an early 299A being the runner up.. :D

Good ventilation is key to a reliable long life with these amps, the aluminum chassis will then really help to get the heat out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.