• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lil' Devil P-P Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's the SMPS I ginned up for the Devil, a quasi-resonant flyback using the ST L6565 controller chip. I need to figure out how to best incorporate the rest of the below-decks components before this amp will come together.

Attachments

• Lil_devil_supply.jpg
    Lil_devil_supply.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 239
This one has been sitting in the basement for some time, as I've been dissatisfied with the parts count, and have been learning in the interim and having different ideas on hybrid amps. This one might come back to life with a drastically simplified front end - stay posted. It wouldn't be the first time I started an amp with one design philosophy and finished it with something really different.

Ground plane is anathema for SMPS. I've advised customers over the years (30+) that built their SMPS on ground plane thinking it was the be-all and end-all, and it isn't. You need to tell the currents explicitly where to go, especially in the secondary circuitry.
Making the comments you have, it's obvious that you don't do SMPS for a living. The majority of designs out in the world are on a single-sided PCB, and a competent designer can get them to work just fine - its the "competent" that can be a problem...

When I get to it, I'll show the back side of the SMPS board in question - not that difficult if you know what you're doing. Having said that, there's some undocumented features that won't be divulged involving magnetics design among other things - don't want to mess up retirement income...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.