Can anybody identify this - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can anybody identify this

hi to al!
Can anybody identify this (very possibly British) radio? Some caps under the chassis are US made. Unfortunately, the local br@t took of with all the valves, years ago. Any help is appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by costis_n; 4th April 2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 08:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those light blue capacitors look like Solars. As for the valves you need, it will take a little detective work. All that corrosion and damage make it quite a project, but not impossible.

Since the tubes are octal, and it's apparently AM BC only, let's start by assuming a lineup of 6SA7 6SK7 6SQ7 6K6(or 6V6 or 6F6) and the rectifier either 5Y3 or 6X5 depending on how it's wired. How many valves total?
Old 4th April 2010, 09:11 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm suspecting it is a European multiband (possibly English) set and would probably have had LW, MW and a low SW band. The switch to the extreme right seems like it could be a band change switch. European radios rarely used tube types common to US made radios, but I suppose it is possible.

Last edited by kevinkr; 4th April 2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Have a look at or put a post on the vintage wireless forum: UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

May be of help.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well first I'd identify the function of each tube socket. Then check the pin connections to see which tubes would fit. Yes, the European valves were different and yet very similar. Many American types would work.

So find the rectifier tube. Sketch its pin connections to the power transformer. Then find the audio output tube; sketch its connections to the output transformer (on the speaker) and to the driver stage. Then sketch the driver stage and see its connections to the volume control. And so on.

At some point you can plug it in, sans tubes, and measure the voltages out of the power transformer. That will help decisions regarding which tubes will work.
Old 4th April 2010, 11:48 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody for the help. The radio is certainly a British affair, if I can judge from the station names. It has 3 bands, I have identified most of the valve positions, and it also had a "magic eye" valve. I m not going to make a project out of it, because as dad (retired radio/tv./stereo repairman) says, all the coils, and the secondary of the power transformer are shorted/rusted. So anyway, he restored the cabinet, and I m just looking for manufacturer / model info. It os still interesting why the caps are US made.

Mr Old Trout, you are right, I should check there. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!