MA 6P1 6AQ5 Push-Pull Valve Tube Integrated Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2010, 12:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MA 6P1 6AQ5 Push-Pull Valve Tube Integrated Amplifier

Hi,
This is my first post, and I am very new to tube amps, and would like to know what is the absolute easiest way to make this amp safe and sound as good as possible? I want to make sure there is a fuse and it is properly grounded. I would also like to have it last for a while, and not overheat.
I am using fostex full range speakers in a zigmahorn enclosure, and listen to jazz and vocals.
thanks, Bob
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not sure I understand the question. This is a commercially produced stand alone amp right? So why wouldn't it be safe to use? It is a simple pentode mode with GNF right? Give us some pics. I can't imagine that they didn't include a fuse. Got a schematic?

Before modding it I would put some hours on it to break it in and see how it sounds and what deficiencies you find. Assuming that you don't want to completely rework the topology I suspect that PS filtering and capacitor upgrades are the most likely suspects for improvements.

Depending on the amount of FB it may dominate the sound to the point that tube rolling may not accomplish much.

Anyway get yourself a baseline before you do anything. And I wouldn't leave it running unattended at least at first in case there is a serious quality control problem if you catch my drift.
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

You may find this thread of interest:
Meng Yue Mini schematic?
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:51 PM   #4
4season is offline 4season  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
Not sure I understand the question. This is a commercially produced stand alone amp right? So why wouldn't it be safe to use?
Cheap Chinese amps purchased off eBay really tend to be "projects" rather than finished products. I've purchased 3 different amps, and out of the box, all of them measured pretty bad, and in one case, the circuit board had been laid out wrong! So why purchase them at all? Because they're practically giving away the tubes, transformers and chassis away, and with a bit of effort, a person can learn a lot about how amps work, and wind up with something very nice for hardly any money.
Old 3rd April 2010, 08:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemeboat View Post
Hi,
This is my first post, and I am very new to tube amps, and would like to know what is the absolute easiest way to make this amp safe and sound as good as possible? I want to make sure there is a fuse and it is properly grounded. I would also like to have it last for a while, and not overheat.
I am using fostex full range speakers in a zigmahorn enclosure, and listen to jazz and vocals.
thanks, Bob
Grounding the mains is the exception rather than the rule for Chinese amps so definitely check that first. Unplug from power before attempting any checks! A simple ohm-meter check from the ground pin of the mains cord entry socket to an exposed metal part of the chassis (e.g. power switch or RCA socket outer) will tell you.
The Chinese amps I have seen seem to incorporate the fuse into the mains entry socket.

The Meng Yue thread mentioned is one I started, as I had the same concerns you do.

Gary
Old 4th May 2010, 12:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody
Im new to tube amps, and this is my first post. I am considering buying the MA 6P1 Mini. But will it drive my Jamo 507 speakers? They are 4 ohms and 150 watts. I also have a Luxman l-430 amplifier witch im thinking as using as a pre-amp. Will this give me any better sound or is the Luxman better than a MA 6P1?

Thanks in advance
Kriss
Old 4th May 2010, 02:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I would think the Angel would be grunting hard to push that speaker load to worthwhile levels in any room larger than a broom closet...

Hide this!Advertise here!