• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SF4007 vs 1n5408 rectifier diodes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all !

An evening trying to change two 1n5408 rectifiers diodes over HFA08TB60 in a Audio Note P2SE valve amp power supply . Failure .
P. S. Transformer output 2x 310v , the HFA08TB60 are intended to reach 600v , i have blown two , i think they don t
fit the purpose , maybe i m wrong .
Do the SF4007 diodes that are 1000v 1a worth a try .
Please help !

sf4007 vs ...

Thanks again .

" But bear in mind that the signal is 440V peak "

Now , i begin to ask myself , if the HFA08TB60 Freds max 600v
and the signal is 440v peak , what happened ? A misconnection?
I applied 330 VAC at pin 2 anode , then the supply shorted because of a blown diode two times , until i replaced the 1n5408
and everything normalized . That s only the first round , i will
get those 1200v ones then i will get the job done .

Regards

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
One-offs vs production

For a centre-tapped supply, each diode sees twice the peak voltage, so you need 2 x 310 x root 2 = 877V. The voltage that you use at the output of the rectifier is 440V peak (well, 438V).

Technically, you only need 900V diodes. So 1kV rated types would be fine. Except for spikes. In practice, it makes a lot of sense to use higher voltage/higher current types unless you have the time to do the testing in your own circuit to find out if more marginal types are OK.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.