• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 for ST70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have stripped down an old St70 and am doing a complete mod on it, using the Curcio 4-tube driver circuit and regulated PSU. I've also got 4 new EL34 marked "National Electronics" and "made in China". Does anyone here have experience of these tubes or this manufacturer? I got them cheap so I am not expecting too much....

Another question: How important is it to match output tubes on the ST70

Thanks / Michael

Perhaps I should incorporate a bias adjustment for each tube. I guess it is only a matter of having a separate cathode resistor and a separate bias source/pot for each tube? I was thinking of reducing the cathode resistor to about 1 - 2 ohms instead of the current 15.6 ohms

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Perhaps I should incorporate a bias adjustment for each tube. I guess it is only a matter of having a separate cathode resistor and a separate bias source/pot for each tube? I was thinking of reducing the cathode resistor to about 1 - 2 ohms instead of the current 15.6 ohms

Yes, that's a very good idea. Reasonably well-matched tubes is a good start but having the means to adjust them individually is also good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.