• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

First tube amp project: GO!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I bought a huge 100 Watt tube amp a month ago, complete with 4x12 cab (diamond nitrox head and cab) and am super happy with it. The only problem is that it is not portable for jamming or practicing at a friends place.

I decided that since I have a good understanding of circuits (BSEE, and MSEE degree 99% done, along with common sense and electricians in the family) I will start a tube amp project that is NOT a kit. Not to knock kits, in fact they are great, but I wanted something more challenging and a better learning experience.

This thread will be the journal, complete with pictures and updates, in case anyone wants to follow along and make sure I don't get zapped to death and/or offer insight.

The schematic is this one:
http://www.schematicheaven.com/newamps/badcat_minicat.pdf

I heard it in a shop once and loved it, and all I need to travel with is a simple 5Watt.

So far: I've ordered every single part, including the Celestion V30 speaker and the Mercury Magnetics transformers. I just need to hit up Home Depot and get the MDF to build the combo cab from scratch!

Keep in mind that I consider the cost of this amp to be my "tuition" for the course of amp building 101... if that makes sense. I also hope to learn to diagnose issues, but who knows, when I built circuits in the past I have had the uncanny lucky streak of never really making a mistake hooking things up (bad and good, because mistakes teach).

I'll take pictures as things arrive...

-Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.