Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2010, 04:05 PM   #21
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Caps aren't the only thing that can explode. I built a V-reg circuit for +/-40V @5A using TO-220 mosfet series pass devices. I accidentally shorted one of the outputs and the transistor exploded. (early lesson about using fuses was learned here ) A chunk of the plastic case hit me in the forehead close to my eye. It left a mark, drew a spot of blood! Less than an inch down and I would be blind in my left eye. I’ve never seen a transistor like that before or since explode leaving a crater in the plastic package where the die used to be before it vaporized.
Old 6th April 2010, 09:53 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

He obviously doesn't know what a variac is!
Old 7th April 2010, 05:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

The variac is the light blue thing in the corner of the bench. In the description, he mentions powering it up with the variac and light bulb limiter (with the deep blue base) and it apparently worked fine until the cap randomly exploded. Needless to say, I'll be wearing my safety goggles more often.

- Scott
Old 9th February 2011, 02:35 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default I pressed the exploder button !

Hello guy's, I see that this is an old thread, but I need to post something in response to your questions. I amp the one that got exploded upon.

Attached is a photo of me after the explosion.
It was not a fun experience....

Be safe,

Bernie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (91.6 KB, 361 views)
Old 9th February 2011, 03:50 AM   #25
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Hi Bernie. The video in the original post is no longer available. Do you still have it kicking around? I'd like to see it.

Judging by the mess... "she blowed up real good!"

..Todd
Old 9th February 2011, 04:00 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Bernie,

if you have a facebook, I sure hope this is your profile pic.
Old 9th February 2011, 05:30 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

I have exploded just about every kind of electrical component made. Even the new vented caps will explode violently if the failure mechanism can dump energy into the cap faster than it can vent. Plastic cased semiconductors can also explode. I have blown them so bad that there is 3 stubs and a black mark where the transistor used to be. I have even seen the pieces of silicon come through the can on a TO-3. SMPS's powered directly from the power lines are good for a big bang.

When you build something totally outrageous, powered by a 1500 volt 1/2 Amp power supply, you put a 1/4 inch sheet of Lexan between it and yourself, grab a fire extinguisher, then hit the explode button.

The 833A SE Amp Prototype
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 833AFreqRespTest2a.jpg (77.6 KB, 262 views)
Old 9th February 2011, 07:37 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I just tried to VU the youtube video. It is no longer available.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default reply

The plexi blast shield looks like a good idea! Probably should be 1/2" lexan though? I also have blown up many components, but this was by far the worst. My face was only 4" from the path of the aluminum can as it rocketed to the sealing.

I lost access to my old youtube account and it went away. I will post the video again and put a link in this thread.

Bernie
Old 9th February 2011, 10:36 PM   #30
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
...will explode violently if the failure mechanism can dump energy into the cap faster than it can vent.
I have that problem too. I've offered to hand out Lexan shields, but I've been told cognitive therapy is probably a better option. I'm still laughing at the size of those transformers, George. Them'r cap explodin trannies!

..Todd

Last edited by taj; 9th February 2011 at 10:39 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!