Need help with tube ID. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 07:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
Default Need help with tube ID.

I recieved this tube as a replacement for a GE tube from Terry. I can't find anything about the brand "WU". Can anyone help id this thing?? It says its made in the US

Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 08:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator
planet10's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Does the tube have any manufacturer codes on it?

community sites,, ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 03:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
smoking-amp's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Hickory, NC
Western Union?
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Mar 2010
On the left side there was some writing but it has been rubbed off.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 03:30 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator
kevinkr's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Blog Entries: 6
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
Western Union?
That would be my guess too as I have bought NOS tubes in the past that were branded as such, no longer recollect what the logo or box looked like however. (I'm assuming these would have been for such duties as retubing a teletypewriter and the like.)
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:27 PM   #6
bst is offline bst  United States
diyAudio Member
bst's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
I've acquired tubes in their original boxes with this same logo, and they are indeed made for Western Union. Most types were used in telecommunications equipment, especially repeater amplifiers for telephone signals.

If it has a RETMA/EIA code (e.g. 312 for Sylvania, 185 for DuMont, etc.), you can identify the manufacturer. GE-made tubes usually have the type number faintly etched into the glass. You'll likely find that it's a high-grade tube, selected for low noise, low microphonics, and closely-matched sections.

Just like the hand-selected tubes which are rebranded 'Beckman' or 'Hewlett-Packard', you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at the performance of the W/U-branded components.

Last edited by bst; 22nd March 2010 at 12:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help ID this DIY tube monoblocks ViperZ Tubes / Valves 6 4th June 2009 08:38 AM
Tube ID and suggestions Grathan Tubes / Valves 3 8th February 2009 11:56 PM
ID Unknown Tube scottswim Tubes / Valves 2 26th November 2008 01:34 AM
Tube ID anyone? ectobia Tubes / Valves 2 25th February 2008 02:33 AM
tube id book sunseeker Tubes / Valves 1 28th August 2005 02:20 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2