Sun Audio SV-2a3 HK Clone - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
siqdiz is offline siqdiz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Sun Audio SV-2a3 HK Clone

Yesterday I received my latest addition to my SET collection, a eBay hong-kong SUN SV-2A3 clone. The amplifier was purchased through eBay end of January and shipped to Holland with surface mail. The amplifier was bomb-proof packaged, a big thumbs up for the seller.

Before powering the device up I opened it up to check the internals, it's nice to see grounding and a fuse. I also removed the transformer covers to check what's lurking underneath them . The transformers are not branded, but by the looks of them they are quite well produced. They have been painted with a bitumen like substance. I also like the fact that each transformer is in its own enclosure. The circuitboard is simple with the traces wide apart from eachother, the 2a3 tube sockets are ceramic. The other sockets are plastic. A nice touch is the bias points are reachable without opening the enclosure, they are located between the 2 2a3 tubes.

I never had a tube amplifier before with a tube rectifier so I wasn't sure what to expect. My speakers are ~95dB/w horns. After the amplifier was turned on I put my ear against the speaker to find out if there is any humm. During the first few minutes there was a little humm/hiss, but after about 3 minutes the speakers were dead silent. Also the power transformer isn't vibrating.

It's way too soon to make any comments on the sound quality of the device; i've been watching TV with the 2a3 amplifier, sounds good. Comparing to my Sweet Peach FU50 amp, the bass doesn't go as deep, but this is just an early observation. Once the tubes are burned in I can do a full review on the sound.

The tubes:

2x Shuguang 2a3b tubes
2x 6N8P pre tubes
1x 5Z3P rectifier tube.
Old 16th March 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

reserved for photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01191_rescale.JPG (948.4 KB, 1280 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01190_rescale.jpg (692.4 KB, 1046 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01189_rescale.JPG (901.5 KB, 981 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01186_resize.jpg (783.8 KB, 940 views)

Last edited by siqdiz; 16th March 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 19th March 2010, 10:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Mr Siqdiz. I have listend to a SV-2A3 at Hino company (ground floor of Sun audio)in Akihabara in Japan. the SV-2A3 letted me listen to brilliant piano sound thru an ALTEC(coaxitial 10inch undefenetly). I like direct heating triode amps(like 2a3 , 300b , 211).I have 300B SET(12AX7+6BQ5 drive) (?????????/JB 300B ver.3/???????? ??????) I can listen to the richest mid low(tone)sound thru this 300B(JB-300b) But I think that 300B can hardly win against 2A3 SET on Violin or flute sound(high tone).What do you think about that?
Old 19th March 2010, 12:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's a great looking amplifier. How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? I'll be looking forward to you impressions.
Old 20th March 2010, 02:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This Jewelry Box 300B is US $ 1,100.( tubeless model is about $780 ?????????/???????? ?????? ) This amp makes mid,low ranges richness sound.(with a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion) The high range(Violin Flute) is with poor 2nd harmonic distortion.(but clear) But right hand of the piano is very very beautiful (full harmonic distortion). I like 2A3SET better than 300BSET about violin, flute or harpsichord.
Old 20th March 2010, 01:39 PM   #6
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you want to get good sounding amp, don't waste only with this. The quality of the components such as power/output transformers, resistors and capacitors are very important. To upgrade and modify the amp, it would cost about the same like builidng one.

Save the money and build a really nice one with good quality components.

JOhnny
Old 21st March 2010, 08:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Hello Mr Siqdiz. I have listend to a SV-2A3 at Hino company (ground floor of Sun audio)in Akihabara in Japan. the SV-2A3 letted me listen to brilliant piano sound thru an ALTEC(coaxitial 10inch undefenetly). I like direct heating triode amps(like 2a3 , 300b , 211).I have 300B SET(12AX7+6BQ5 drive) (?????????/JB 300B ver.3/???????? ??????) I can listen to the richest mid low(tone)sound thru this 300B(JB-300b) But I think that 300B can hardly win against 2A3 SET on Violin or flute sound(high tone).What do you think about that?
This is the first DHT amp I've owned, I can only cross-reference against a Mengyue EL84 push-pull and a Sweet Peach FU50 SET. I've put around 10 hours on the 2a3 tubes now, when I've put around 100 hours in them it's time for a proper comparison against my other amps. Initial impressions are pretty good, although the FU50 SET wins in the bass department hands down. Again, only after a good amount of hours I'll compare the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
That's a great looking amplifier. How much did you pay, if you don't mind my asking? I'll be looking forward to you impressions.
418 dollar excluding airmail, VAT and custom duties. Surface mail is free if you have the time to wait 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
This Jewelry Box 300B is US $ 1,100.( tubeless model is about $780 ?????????/???????? ?????? ) This amp makes mid,low ranges richness sound.(with a lot of 2nd harmonic distortion) The high range(Violin Flute) is with poor 2nd harmonic distortion.(but clear) But right hand of the piano is very very beautiful (full harmonic distortion). I like 2A3SET better than 300BSET about violin, flute or harpsichord.
I listen all kinds of music, classic / electronic music / jazz / etc. I even watch movies with my amp. For me an amplifier needs to perform good in all those genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtang View Post
If you want to get good sounding amp, don't waste only with this. The quality of the components such as power/output transformers, resistors and capacitors are very important. To upgrade and modify the amp, it would cost about the same like builidng one.

Save the money and build a really nice one with good quality components.

JOhnny
You've had this amplifier too?

Last edited by siqdiz; 21st March 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 21st March 2010, 11:20 PM   #8
ksporry is offline ksporry  China
diyAudio Member

Just a suggestion, if you have multi way speakers, why not biamp? Use low tone suitable amps for low drivers (eg 300b set for bass/low) and maybe 2a3set for mid/high tones? Doesn't work with full range drivers ofcourse...
Old 21st March 2010, 11:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm running full range horn speakers ( Das Viech with SICA 426 drivers ), they have no usable output below 50/55 hz. Soon I will be looking into designing stereo subwoofers for 30-60 hz, this will fill the bottom gap.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:18 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Hi

Congratulationson yr new "Sun Audio" amp.

I own the same since a year or two.

The power transformers are the "Bez" kind, like sold on DIY Audio... Check if yours is marked 220 v or 240. If it turns out to be 220, looks like you'll be running a hot amp! (or, at least power transformer!)

Second; get rid of the filter-caps in the power supply; mine was fitted with a 400v rated 40mf number, the second one turned out to be a 500v 80 mf!
I replaced these with a single can cap rated 500v 2x47mf (exactly like the Sun).
The difference was amazing!

Then get rid of the volume-pot and get hold of an Alps type (50klog blue).

Alltogether, I am very happy with this baby!

Hide this!Advertise here!