• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help selecting a thermistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace a thermistor used on the primary side of a power transfo (in series with the fuse). The spec is >25 at 25C and the operating current is about 1.3 amps. It's an NTC application; while the CL-60 seems to be a diy favorite, it is only 10 ohms at 25C. I need select another (or use 3 CL-60s).

I'm always temped to oversize passive components but I wonder if more thought is required in this case. Would it be correct to say that a 5 amp component in a 1.3 amp circuit would not heat up enough to sufficiently drop it's resistance? I would imagine a 1.3 amp thermistor would fail due to the inrush. The truth must lie somewhere in the middle. An Epcos 33 ohm / 2.5 amp is available and I'm tempted to use that.

Can you suggest a rule of thumb, best practice or a calculation method for selecting the proper current rating?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.