• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audioromy 838 Amp Broke need help..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Audioromy 838 that I need parts for this is the model with the 805A's. It is a 220v model I picked up and pluged into 110v supply initially (probably not the first time for this amp). Popped fuse...

I have since bought a 220v 1500w step up xformer took out tubes and tested. Get a loud hum and then fuse blows. I suspect the power transformer is fried although the lights on the front do light for a second before fuse goes maybe something else???

Any suggestions on shooting this issue or a replacement trans. Maybe some specs that I might use to search for. Anyone with one of these maybe can make some measurements for me??? Have a 750V/150v/6.3v and 10v filament trans on the shelf....

I wonder if anyone can help? If not maybe you can point me to someone who can. Sure would like to get this amp going. I suspect parts and schematics etc are make of unobtainium haven't seen much on this amp here or anywhere else.

Have send emails to HK vendors nothing back from them yet...don't hold out too much hope there...

I can always use it as a project chassis I guess...

Thanks, Tony

Hello Tony,

I have repaired my Audioromy 813 several times. I think the 838 is not a lot different.
So let me try to help you. If you turn on the amp with no loudspeakers attached. Is it a humm or more a rattle that you hear. Because often a small capacitor who is buffering the supply of the on/off relay is defect. If you hear the relais rattle, then the capacitor is defect.

Please make a photo of the inside of the amp i can point out the place of the capacitor.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Picture from 813 amp

Ronny

Ronny, here are the pics. Cap issue would be easier for sure! Let me know if you can ID the cap and I'll change it out.

Turned it back on with out tubes and no speakers. There is a hum and crackling, hissing sound from around the little power supply board.

Thanks for the assist...

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 350
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 327
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    457.1 KB · Views: 313
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 283
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 189
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    415.9 KB · Views: 158
When the amp set up for 220Vac but it still blows the fuse with 120Vac mains, surely the amp need to be serviced with an experience technician like me.... ha ha.....

Putting it to 220Vac again would cause further damages to the amplifier...too bad...

It need to isolate the problem of drawing too much current before power up once again.

My 2 cents.

Johnny

OK, changed out the cap and there is now a different thing happening. Now then I turn on the amp it blows the fuse in my 220V step up xformer (5A-250v fuse, 200V, 1500W) BUT the fuse in the amp does not blow???

I will try LinuksGuru's test next...

Any other ideas keep'em comin!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.