diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Leak stereo 20 modification (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/162970-leak-stereo-20-modification.html)

Gudmund 11th March 2010 08:05 AM

Leak stereo 20 modification

Have just bought a Leak Stereo 20 and a Varislope stereo preamp on Ebay just like the guy here where I found some pictures:
leakstereo20

I am new in valve business. Which components need to be changed? All - or only capasitors? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gudmund

SY 11th March 2010 09:31 AM

Depends on your goal.

Restoration? Change out the power supply caps and any other electrolytics. You don't need fancy "audiophile" components, just well-rated 105 degree C electrolytics and decent film-and-foil polypropylene caps.

Performance? Gut and rebuild. Morgan Jones shows a lovely example in his book "Valve Amplifiers." His Bevois Valley circuit drops into that chassis with some minimal metalwork.

Gudmund 11th March 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SY (Post 2115052)
Depends on your goal.

Restoration? Change out the power supply caps and any other electrolytics. You don't need fancy "audiophile" components, just well-rated 105 degree C electrolytics and decent film-and-foil polypropylene caps.

Performance? Gut and rebuild. Morgan Jones shows a lovely example in his book "Valve Amplifiers." His Bevois Valley circuit drops into that chassis with some minimal metalwork.

Restoration is the way for me. I would like to hear the amplifier as it was. I will stay with the standard components as you suggested.

Have looked for Morgan Jones. There are more than one edition. - Will have to learn more before I try to change the circuit.

Have looked for replacement tubes - EL84 /ECC83. Value for money - which type shall I buy? Russian?

Thanks
Gudmund

adamus 11th March 2010 02:37 PM

6p14p - ev... lovely

Gudmund 11th March 2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus (Post 2115286)
6p14p - ev... lovely

Better than old unused Siemens?

adamus 11th March 2010 03:19 PM

I have never compared them, but the 6p14p-ev are so affordable just buy them and try them. if not to your taste, stick them on ebay

Gudmund 11th March 2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus (Post 2115326)
I have never compared them, but the 6p14p-ev are so affordable just buy them and try them. if not to your taste, stick them on ebay

Ok - I do that. - Do you recommend a supplier in UK or EU?

adamus 11th March 2010 03:54 PM

ebay is your best bet

Gudmund 11th March 2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus (Post 2115367)
ebay is your best bet

I will search at Ebay.

Thanks

Shoog 11th March 2010 07:48 PM

I had a Leak Stereo 20 as my first valve amp. Lovely sweet hang in the air sound. Definately coloured, but in a very nice way.
Replace all the caps with some reasonable MKP or better types - they can go leaky and if they do they might take down the output trannys which would be very difficult to replace. There is a big ballast resistor in the early stage power supply - do not replace it as it acts as a drop out fuse. Most of the resistors will probably have drifted quite a bit in value. This is probably OK but its small money to replaced them all with good stable carbon comp.

Dump the Varislope preamp as it is rubbish and only worth gutting. The valves inside can be sold on as spares. The Leak has massive gain an d matches well with a passive preamp- anything with gain will be to much. One modification worth considering is replacing the input stage on the Stereo 20.

Shoog