• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power transformer question (Bud?? calling Bud)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can anyone help me understand what a "vibrator" tranformer is? From what I can gather, it is a tranformer that steps up battery level DC to higher voltage. Guess they were in old autos -- stepping up voltages from the battery for tube radio use. I presume this topology got replaced by the 12V space charged tube lines -- right?

Is it possible to step up DC to DC or am I not reading things right? Does anyone still make these? Why did they go away? -- was it that this topology didn't work well or was it part of the overall move to the smaller tube packages.

Thx.

Different things yes?

Soooo - we are talking about two different devices here -- there is the vibrator which is presumably some kinda oscillator that takes 12V DC and makes it 12V AC (or thereabouts -- probably some loss). THEN the "vibrator" transformer (so named because it took 12V AC input) did the step-up . OK I got it -- thx again.

The vibrator can be viewed as a specialized type of relay wired with one set of NC contacts in series with the input voltage to the coil. A second set of contacts controls power to the vibrator transformer.

When power is applied, the coil is energizes through the NC contact and field piece pulls in breaking the NC contact and killing power to the coil. It oscillates. Switching time is controlled by mechanical design, spring strength to filed piece, coil strength, etc.

Facinating stuff folks -- thx much

Funny -- one of the main reasons I got drawn into this stuff (aside frm beng a hack guitar player looking for tone) was my history buff tendencies. Great reading here for geeks. Many thanks.

However, -- I would like to return to stepping up DC battery voltages (DC to DC). Is this really the best way with todays tech?? Are there other ways (using sand even :eek: gasp).

On a side note -- this discussion would seem to suggest that there is nothing really unique about the vaibrator transformer -- right???? -- its just a garden variety step up that is "optimized" for a 12VAC input -- any transformer with 12VAC on one end (with appropriate current specs) would do -- right??

Thx folks -- sure great to have such knowlegible people a few taps away! Hope I can return the favor to someone else.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.