• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Millivolt signal and tube sockets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
imitation tube sockets

Okay, I didn't like this garbage Workman tube socket so I order 10 "chassis" tube sockets from a famous tube vendor in St. Charles Il, USA. They came in without mounting rings or ears. Okay, I've never replaced a tube socket, maybe the mounting ring is reuseable. Wrong. The mounting rings of the tube sockets on the Hammond H182 are stamped around the plastic part on top and bottom, besides having 4 solder tabs for the extensive network of return current wires (there were 6 return wires soldered to the ring of this socket). I didn't start this project to design a stamping die to stamp my own steel tube socket rings. If I could get the Amp brand input connector in something less than lots of 10000 pieces, I would trash the whole 3 channel tube amp and put in three chip amps. Thanks for the E-bay references, but this computer locks up if I even try to look at anything on E-bay, much less bid.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Okay, I didn't like this garbage Workman tube socket so I order 10 "chassis" tube sockets from a famous tube vendor in St. Charles Il, USA. They came in without mounting rings or ears. Okay, I've never replaced a tube socket, maybe the mounting ring is reuseable. Wrong. The mounting rings of the tube sockets on the Hammond H182 are stamped around the plastic part on top and bottom, besides having 4 solder tabs for the extensive network of return current wires (there were 6 return wires soldered to the ring of this socket). I didn't start this project to design a stamping die to stamp my own steel tube socket rings. If I could get the Amp brand input connector in something less than lots of 10000 pieces, I would trash the whole 3 channel tube amp and put in three chip amps. Thanks for the E-bay references, but this computer locks up if I even try to look at anything on E-bay, much less bid.

You need to find a reputable vendor, I mean who sends a chassis mount ceramic socket without the associated mounting hardware??

I'd take a look at that PC as well, there is plenty of good useful tube oriented electronic parts on ePay.

Know how frustrating it can be when what you order is not what you expected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.