• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Phono amp Raytheon 6418 tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post on the tube forum, quite possibly there is no answer for this.

I was wondering if any body knows if there are any schematics for phono pre amps built around the Raytheon 6418 sub miniature pentodes.

There is a mic amp, and headphone/pre amp available from Oatley electronics in OZ.

The above ones work on battery power and by all accounts actually sound rather good.

I suspect they may also work well for phono use, probably with boosting via and IC.

Thanks for the tip Studeb, that is a recent addition I knew nothing about and I suspect it might work quite well, plenty of scope for modding and the price is sweet too.

I will order one and build it up.

I think I can keep the microphonics under control and balancing channels will be easy enough.

Progress

Thanks for the tip Studeb, that is a recent addition I knew nothing about and I suspect it might work quite well, plenty of scope for modding and the price is sweet too.

I will order one and build it up.

I think I can keep the microphonics under control and balancing channels will be easy enough.

Hi Zero One,

any progress with this? I did see that the guys at the Melbourne Audio Club built one with upgraded components and an improved power supply and noted:
I would say whichever way you go on to build the kit, you will not be disappointed. In a blind listening test the basic kit outperformed two Cambridge phono preamps and a Hafler phono preamp in front of six very critical listeners of the Melbourne Audio Club, across three different turntables and cartridges. Impressive!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.