• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL152, GU50 and EL156

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My German is not so good at all. I found the page detailing history of EL34 and some Russian tubes. But nothing specific on the 152, 156 or the 50s. From what little I read on Jacmusic, the 152 and 50 are the same tube but with different bases. Both designed for Military use. The 156 seems to be the super version of the EL34. If that is the case what is the difference between the EL152/GM50 and the EL156?

thats not the case: LS50 (data same as GU50) was developped 1940 in Germany as a RF /Audio modulator purpose for the airforce, than later changed the glass housing. EL34 ( = 6CA7) was developped by Philips in the mid 1950s and the EL156 later by Telefunken.
Pls. dont mix them all up.

EL156 Supressor Grid (G3)

Hi all,
Anybody have any original EL156 tubes? If so, can you take a look at the supressor grid (G3) and see if there is any wire wrapped around the 4 supressor support rods? I have several of the Chinese EL156 and the only thing that constitutes the supressor are those 4 support rods; there is no grid wire wrapped around them. Are the German EL156 tubes made this way?Thanks, Daniel

Gu50 amp

Hi, I am thinking of building an amp using EL152, GU50 or EL156. Anyone have experience with the tubes that can share their experiences and thoughts? Sound, operating points, etc?

I've built the amp using GU-50 in triode. About 9W output.
No much difficulties. Anode power supply 300 mA is enough. The 6SL7 tube can be replaced with Russian 6N2P or 6N2P-EV with a bit change in treble. If Gu50 You have is with separate pin for the 3rd grid, then You can connect it either to anode, or to cathode. I don’t find any difference in sound, but others do so.

Trans: S=16 sq. cm., primary 2400 turns 0.35 mm in 3 sections 5+10+5 layers, 120 turns in a layer all sections sequentially; secondary – 8 layers 120 turns each the same (0.35 mm) diameter (8 Ohm load) with lead from 85th turn (4 Ohm load), two sections of 4 layers each in between primary sections, all secondary layers in parallel.

In pentode mode recommended:
Ua=300V Ug2=250V Ug1=-24V Ia=130mA Ig2=3.5mA Ug1=~17V Ro=2kOm P=18W

Attachments

• Gu_SE.jpg
    Gu_SE.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,101
El156

Teh EL156 was later manufactured by Luizhou factory after Telefunken stopped doing tube business, using four metal posts instead of a wound grid. This method also works well as a "suppressor grid" and is cheaper to make. IN germany it was done in the 1940's already with the AL4 etc types. There is nothing to worry.

The EL156 is an expensive and rare collectors animal. Shungang (or etwas) makes the octal version but I haven't seen it marketed in Europe at sensible prices. I'm using readily available EH KT90's instead. The anode & screen ratings are nearly sim except slightly lower B+ ratings.

richy

Kt90

the difference is: the KT90 ( beam tetrode) is a modified horizontal sweep tube by Ei tube factory in former Yugoslavia, and the EL156 (real pentode) was designed for audio purpose. therefore the KT90 has the character of a beam tube with beam forming elements ( quasi G3) and aligned G2 to G1 grids.

I have a nice pile of NOS original TFK EL156 and also some of the modern Chinese octal EL156 aka KT90-LX . At a glance , apart from the socket both appear to be very similar , but looking closer the Chinese version is a very different design and bias up differently . Two different animals , the same in name only

316a

I have a nice pile of NOS original TFK EL156 and also some of the modern Chinese octal EL156 aka KT90-LX .
316a

Lucky you. That LX sounds an attempted clone.
The EH KT90's neg bias on the low side compared with KT88's for the same currents.

Frankly, the thd performance of the EH KT90 version falls in the Svet 6550C, Svet KT88, TungSol 6550 New Ed ballpark. I can thoroughly recommend 40% UL operation.

richy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.