• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Convert a 110 volt Mcintosh Mc275 to 230volt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Charles,
different country different regulations. In UK you have to use 110V tools an construction sites. But in most other EU countries like here in Germany, there are no such regulations.

Here we are using 230V tools on a special site mains distribution panel with ELCB (GFI) and have to use class 2 Insulation tool. Bigger machinery run on 400V and these must be earthed

So it can be difficult or expensive to get to hold an 230/115 V step-down transformer in other EC countries than UK.

By the way, most manufacturer of electronic gear bring their products with a number of different mains transformers on the market. So its worth to look in the innerts of the amp to find out if this one has got a trafo who has winding taps or a split primary coil. Even when no ac selctor is fitted.
This happend with my sweep generator , made by Texscan . It was wired for 115VAC , no selector switch,and bingo the trafo was rewirable wor 230VAC.

Its a good idea to have a central mains transformer in you house if you own more than one 115V appliances ( like me) . I´ve got many former US army stuff. I installed 115V sockets in all asssociated rooms with a central trafo in the cellar. prim 400V, sek 115 5kVA. I salvaged this trafo from our local hospital. It was removed from a scraped computer-tomograph.

regards
Wolfgang from Hamburg

DF6ZC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.