• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Eimac 35TG amplifier glows !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good evening all,

at last....just finished my Eimac 35TG amplifiers. This took simply too long....but was worth the waiting !

After a great start i had troubles with the first stage (6HV5A) and decided to switch for another compactron (6FJ7). The 35TG stayed; great tube. There are not many amplifiers with this triode out there. The amplifier is set up to accomodate the 100TH also (but i have stacked enough pairs 35TG's to last for some time....).

In the next pictures i'll show the work in progress ending with the finished product.

The first pictures are about the designing and drawing. You see that i am rather old-fashioned: everything on paper (no computers). I simply want to see the design on a 1:1 scale !

Happy reading !
Greatings from the Netherlands,
Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 766
picture set 2 (35TG)

The next set of pictures are about the components.

All the transformers were ordered (no standard of the shelf products). But....that gave me the opportunity to ask funny items like stacking a coreless coil on top of a choke (a standard way of building i always practice).

Metalwork is arriving:
- extruded profile for the sidebars;
- stainless steel top- and botomplates;

Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_1916.JPG
    IMG_1916.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Kopie van IMG_4882.JPG
    Kopie van IMG_4882.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4833.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 757
picture set 3 (35TG)

This set contains pictures of the building start and breadboarding.

The rectifiers (all IXYS hexfred's) are mounted on a red copper slab. This transfers the heat to the metal casing itself. There is no need for extra cooling fins.
The rectifiers for the B+ is a 2000 volt affair. More than enough for the 800V for the 35TG plate-voltage.

The amplifier started of with a compactron (6HV5A) as first stage. This was not stable. It worked....but did not sound the way i wanted. With another compactron (6FJ7) a new first stage/driver was made.

Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_7428.JPG
    IMG_7428.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_7863.JPG
    IMG_7863.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 335
picture set 4 (35TG)

More pictures of the building phase.

In the end i needed some serious resistors to reach a stable voltage for the 6FJ7. Caddock-resistors are great to use: they are really milspec and up to their task.

First i was planning to have the 6HV5A also in parafeed. But now the 6FJ7 is in a Lofton-White configuration (the 35TG is still in parafeed). The left-overs from the first stage (6HV5A) were simply too good to let them on the shelf. So now the first capacitor in the B+ voltage rail is a Mundorf Silver/Oil 2,2 uF / 1200 VDC . Somewhat over-rated....but shockingly stable !

Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_7867.JPG
    IMG_7867.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_7996.JPG
    IMG_7996.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_7434.JPG
    IMG_7434.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 343
picture set 5 (35TG)

The amplifiers are working:
- great bass-respons (and NOT sloppy);
- good definition;
- clean but not too analytical.

All in all a very nice musical result.

The 35TG looks small but gives a serious output. At the current 800 VDC i get serious 10 Watt of of it.

Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_8034.JPG
    IMG_8034.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_8083.JPG
    IMG_8083.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_8006.JPG
    IMG_8006.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 422
picture set 6 (35TG)

Details:

This 35TG has cooling fins. The 35TG is made for quite some time......i have therefore quite some versions of this triode.

The anode is made of tantalum. Later it was made of molybdene with zirconium coating. I like the tekst "the tantalum plate is designed to run hot. Only a perceptible glow can be seen at 2 Watts dissipation, and a dull cherry red colour at 50 Watts dissipation. This is normal, and no damage will result at this temperature. The convenience of the use of the plate colour as an indication of proper circuit efficiency and tuning will be appreciated after trying"............

Problems with these thoriated tungsten filaments: they become brittle after use. So the last years i am collecting my stash of 35TG's. More than halve of them were broken......but trust me: i have enough pairs to last for a serious amount of musical delight.

Regards,
Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_8044.JPG
    IMG_8044.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_6138.JPG
    IMG_6138.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 424
Thanks !

Good evening all,
thanks for the positive comment. I am very happy with this amplifier. It is a scaled down model from the BIG amplifier (on the background at one of the pictures visible). The big ones are simply non-movable (300 kgs +).
The schematic, component-choise, etc is in essence the same.....just smaller...

These 35TG's "only" weigh 50 kgs each....so managable. If there is another audio-gathering i can take these with me.

To Jeff: all the transformers were made by Stoet. This is a firm in the Netherlands. With regret i must report that these fine transformers are not available anymore (manufacturing stopped). This was my last project with all-Stoet transformers.
For my new projects i have already very nice results with Silvercore (from Germany) and AE (from the Netherlands). Of course i look for transformersuppliers on this side of the ocean....that will spare me serious postage-costs.

Regards,
Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_8080.JPG
    IMG_8080.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 374
ITEM extrusions

Good morning RDF,

the metalwork is from ITEM ( item | Aluminium profiles, fasteners, t-slot nuts, linear guides, aluminium extrusions, ). This company makes extrusions for the industry. You have really a lot of choices here.
I use these for the casings of projects. Very stable and....there is a nice possibility to fix components on the inside without drilling. There are slots in the extrusion and there are lot of options to fix something.

Enclosed some pictures of the metalwork and examples of extrusions.

This answers your question ?

Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_4957.JPG
    IMG_4957.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 396
Item 2

Good morning again RDF,

as these extrusions are so versatile i even made my own rack out of these. At least now i know they can hold my 300+ kgs large amplifier......

And very convenient.....ITEM has even some black powdercoated options.

Reinout

Attachments

• Kopie van IMG_1559.JPG
    Kopie van IMG_1559.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 399
  • Kopie van IMG_1564.JPG
    Kopie van IMG_1564.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 401
Good evening all,

at last....just finished my Eimac 35TG amplifiers. This took simply too long....but was worth the waiting !

After a great start i had troubles with the first stage (6HV5A) and decided to switch for another compactron (6FJ7). The 35TG stayed; great tube. There are not many amplifiers with this triode out there. The amplifier is set up to accomodate the 100TH also (but i have stacked enough pairs 35TG's to last for some time....).

In the next pictures i'll show the work in progress ending with the finished product.

The first pictures are about the designing and drawing. You see that i am rather old-fashioned: everything on paper (no computers). I simply want to see the design on a 1:1 scale !

Happy reading !
Greatings from the Netherlands,
Reinout

Hi ReinoutdV
I have 1 pair 35TG
Where can find the tube socket?
Could you please shar your schematic to me?
Thanks!

Taipei-reply

Good evening Olaychang,

i'm very curious to which 35TG's you have. Besides the old EIMAC's and VAC-TRON's i had a conversation to someone in China who said the 35TG is still in production. I've found that person; he lives in mainland China.....the 35TG is made on order (prime users: meat packing industry !) .....at a price of more than $ 500 each. And the tube itselve seems to have a carbon andode-structure (instead of the standard molybdene).

The tube socket is a standard UX-4; nothing special. They are extremely easy to source. I've opted for the mini-jumbo version; but this should really be no item.

Regards,
Reinout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.