• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Filter Cap Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I've decided to replace the 20 year old filter caps in my Kinergetics SW200 subwoofer amp/crossover. Currently, there are two (2) screw terminal Phillips 10,000uf 75V caps measuring 3.5" high with a radius of 2".

Any recs on a current, fast replacement cap would be appreciated.

Also, would there be any advantages to going with a higher capacitance rating or should I stick with 10K? Thanks.

No, but after 20 years, I'm sure they need refreshing. Electros usually only last 10-15 years before they dry out. I don't have a cap checker, so I can't measure the current performance of the devices.

I agree, the 'lytics are due to be replaced. An increase in value may be possible. Do you have room for a part 4.125 in. tall? If so, Mouser stock # 539-CGS123U075V4C, which is 12000 μF., should do. Otherwise, go with Mouser stock # 539-CGS75V10000S.

I agree, the 'lytics are due to be replaced. An increase in value may be possible. Do you have room for a part 4.125 in. tall? If so, Mouser stock # 539-CGS123U075V4C, which is 12000 μF., should do. Otherwise, go with Mouser stock # 539-CGS75V10000S.

4" would not allow the cover to be replaced. I've been looking at the cgs103u075v3c (539-CGS75V10000S) and it does perfectly suit my needs. Thanks.

I also plan to replace the filter caps in my 20 year old Cary amp. The caps are a little over 1.75" wide but less than 2". The height is not important but width is as the caps go through the the top of the chassis through access holes so a 2" cap would be a hair to wide. The caps in there are currently two 1100uf 450V. What would be your recommendation here?

I've been looking at the 598-DCMX112U450EC2B but at $35/ea, they are pretty expensive. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.