• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

40 yrs old philips ag9016 se flea-power ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ugh... I just finished the A&T-mod. Followed the schematic blindly, apart from using a 15uF cap instead of 12uF for C1. (Couldn't find a suitable 12uF cap)

First impressions are: Harsh mids and highs.

Second impressions: Where the f___ is the low end??! I mean, it's not there. Not there at all.

I'm kind of a beginnner in this area, still managed to pull this through though (I can follow a schematic, but wouldn't be able to design circuits)

Any kind of help appreciated! I have my Philips hooked to a pair of Carlsson OA-5 type II. It sounded pretty good before the mod. Now it absolutely sucks.

Lol. Stupid of me. I put a 220pF silver mica for C3. Thought it was 220nF. Replaced it and bass was back. Later removed C3 altogether and increased C4 to 330 nF. Improvement.

All in all, the mod seems to be an improvement over the original(with bypassed tone control/loudness/C43/13).

Miss the volume pot though, will add one later. The original ones differed several 10-20 KOhms per channel, btw.

Yep, I have it. Thanks though :)

After some listening to the modded Philips, i've found that it lacks low end. Rather much actually. I'm gonna restore it to original, apart from The power supply and eq section. Can't say I'd recommend this mod to anyone. Better to cut C13/43, loudness cap, and bypass eq section. Also replace volume pot and probably power supply caps as well. Then do further mods from the original if felt needed. Fun excercise though. Learned alot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.