• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help ID this 12AX7/EL84 Console(?) Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked this up at my local surplus shop and I'm having a hell of a time trying to track down any info on it.

Surplus Mystery Amp on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The labeled tube sockets are from when somebody recently pulled the tubes out of it. I believe the 6BQ5 and 12AX7, but that octal is not a 6SN7, its a rectifier tube for sure.

There are some numbers on the transformers and the unit itself all of which have lead me nowhere on the Google.

Chassis:

Power Xfmr:
95 1743

Outputs:
95-1790-AJ
172 602

95-1780-B
172 6022

There are 3 pots on the front, as well as a 2 or 3 position lever switch.

There is a sticker labeled "Speaker Terminals" that lists "TV Audio In" as well as a red, black, and white quick connect.

Looks like it had a 120V cord thats been snipped as well as an aux 120V plug.

Thanks for any help.

Fantastic, thanks. Of course its the one number on the thing I didn't search for.

I found a nice looking example currently on eBay:

VINTAGE ZENITH 6BQ5/EL84 TUBE AMP STEROPHONIC 12AX7 - eBay (item 400103615640 end time Mar-16-10 20:26:24 PDT)

A little steep if you ask me.

Know I don't know if I want to bring this guy back to life or just rob it for the power transformer and chassis for my Blue Velvet preamp build.

I think Tom Bavis has provided an important clue. Those O/P trafos appear asymmetrical.

FWIW, my inclination is to rebuild the bugger into a nice little SE amp, as that power trafo energized both the amp and a tuner, which makes it way oversized for a preamp. Consider a variation on the RH84 (schematic uploaded) theme. Install a pair of $37.01 Edcor GXPP15-6-8K O/P trafos. The heft associated with a 15 W. rating should give you extension into the 1st audio octave, at the 5 W. a pentode mode EL84 yields. An additional tweak is to regulate each EL84's g2 B+ with an individual LR8 IC.

It's likely the OEM rectifier was a 5Y3. You can increase the B+ rail voltage, without overstressing the 5 VAC winding, by installing a 5V4.

Attachments

• RH84 Schematic.gif
    RH84 Schematic.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 199
Agreed that the OPTs appear asymmetric. Still, I would be interested in using them if possible, looking at the faceplate of the amp in the eBay auction, it does show a 'stereo' mode as well as mono and ext stereo. So I would think there must be a way to use them as relatively symmetric.

I'll need to head to the library and dig up the Sams schematic.

Agreed that the OPTs appear asymmetric. Still, I would be interested in using them if possible, looking at the faceplate of the amp in the eBay auction, it does show a 'stereo' mode as well as mono and ext stereo. So I would think there must be a way to use them as relatively symmetric.

I'll need to head to the library and dig up the Sams schematic.

Zenith was both clever and CHEAP. :( The 2 sections operated out of phase. They functioned to produce a mono center bass channel and 2X stereo HF channels. Unless you want to construct a speaker system for that sort of setup, replace the O/P "iron". :yes: A pair of 95+ dB. efficient speakers will mate nicely with 5 WPC. In a small space, a little less efficient will work.

Unfortinately the power xfmr was fried, so I yanked the 270FX out of my DC Darling along with it's 125ESE's and I'm in the middle of rebuilding this thing into a SE EL84 amp to listen to. Clearing out all the tone controls and recapping here and there.

The original ideal was to snag this power tranny for a preamp project of mine that needs a beefy power supply, but since a wrench was thrown in those works, I was able to dig up a Hammond (Organ not Canadian Transformer) M-3 amp who's power supply will work great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.