• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Marantz 9 Filter CHOKE value??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone out there know what the actual value(s) are for the filter choke in a Marantz 9 power supply?

I have a measured DCR of ~42ohms.
Really need to know the actual inductance of that choke.
It would also be very useful to know if it is a swinging choke (ungapped) or smoothing choke (gapped) design.

Needless to say I have one in here that has a badly burned up choke.
Hoping to save the effort of unpotting it and also unsoldering the leads from a working Marantz 9 in order to measure the inductance...

_-_-bear

It's a smoothing choke, and I'm sure the value isn't critical. I doubt it's more than 3 Henries. If you DO have access to another 9, it would be a matter of a few minutes to measure it -unsolder one lead, measure, reconnect. Seems to me your choices are to find a choke that fits with an adequate current rating, or to unpot and replace in the existing can.

I have a TC-3 here that I need to find a match for. The dimensions across the top are 1.1"X 2.34" and it is 2" tall. It is also 2" across the endbells. It measures pretty close to 3hy. If your choke fits those dimensions I'd be interested in purchasing the carcass.

Or if by some small miracle anyone knows where I can source an original TC-3 I'd be very happy. This is needed to restore Sid's personal pair of marantz 5's for his widow.

BTW, the choke in the 9's is a TC-6 (6hy??)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.