SY/Pete Millett Crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2010, 08:10 PM   #1
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default SY/Pete Millett Crossover

I wanted to split some of the discussion off from the Pete Millett crossover PCB thread, but figured it would be easier to start a new one.

Whereas... Pete has never really been happy with his Sallen-Key crossover.
Whereas... I have been more than delighted with my Acheron, a gyrator-based design.
Whereas... I have recently joined Pete in the Great State of Texas.
Whereas... Pete and I are looking for an excuse to get together and do some drinking,

Be it now announced that, if there's sufficient interest, we will be collaborating on a project. Pete has left the grunt design work to me; he'll do the PCB design. We're strongly leaning toward replacing the op-amp gyrators with pentodes, but using the basic cathode follower and servo circuitry from my original design.

Here's the options: this will be a second-order circuit. Most likely to get done quickly is a two way, with the bass section being handled by solid state and the upper section being done with tubes. Sections could be cascaded to give 4th order. If people want the bass to be done with tubes and/or a three-way, that could take a bit longer (my design and bench time are sadly limited these days), but if that's what it will take, that's what it will take. regulated supplies, of course. And single ended, though the enterprising could certainly add input and/or output transformers.

So... is there interest enough to inspire us to put the time in, start the breadboarding, and pop a few Belgian ales?
Old 19th February 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I am definatley in.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I too am definitely in. Looking forward to it.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Sounds like a plan.

dave
Old 19th February 2010, 08:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds interesting. I've been looking at triode-based designs, but pentodes could be a possibility. I'm building an Aikido linestage, and there's room on the chassis for a few more tubes. Got any particular bottles in mind? Please don't say EF86, they are like Platinum out here (on the very rare occasion they come up for sale)
Consider the rest of the world as watching with interest, and may only have access to the likes of Russian tubes for example.

Gary
Old 19th February 2010, 08:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

The pentode is just for the gyrator- the signal handling will be done by a triode, most likely an ECC88 or one of that family. The pentodes will NOT be some collector's item- more likely, they will be some orphan American type that you can get for a buck.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ECC88 cascode?
Old 19th February 2010, 09:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Nope, just a plain vanilla, other than the output servo to eliminate the output coupling cap. See the Heretical article on my website for the performance.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

IN opamp gyrators would be fine with me. still more linear than a big choke.
Old 19th February 2010, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Always interested in seeing what the "big boys" are building! Tell us more!

Hide this!Advertise here!