diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Rectifier tubes (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/16150-rectifier-tubes.html)

yuval 7th June 2003 05:11 PM

Rectifier tubes

Hi all,

My amp came with Edicron 5U4G rectifier tubes, I wanted to experiment a bit with other makes. can I aslo try the 5U4GB ? I saw some nice NOS 5U4GB tubes and it would be also interesting to try the EH 5U4GB.

thanks in advance,
Yuval

Magnetmaz 7th June 2003 05:36 PM

Yes, you can use 5U4GB....i would go for the NOS ones over EH any day.

-Maz

fdegrove 7th June 2003 08:50 PM

RECTUMFRIERS...

Hi,

If you already have the Edicrons it isn't worth it to spend extra cash on the EH.
Both are quite likely just the Russian 5U4Gs anyway.

NOS 5U4Gs would be my choice but I fail to see why you want to experiment with different rectifiers...there are much more important aspects of an amp worthy of experiment IMHO.

De gustibus et coloribus non discutandum est, of course.

Cheers,;)

yuval 7th June 2003 10:53 PM

thanks for your input,

I read some reviews that report positive change with NOS rectifiers, I thought I'de stock some backup tubes so why not experiment ? :cool:

cheers,
Yuval

BTW, what do you think about the EH KT88 ? same s**t as Svet's ? ;)

fdegrove 7th June 2003 11:19 PM

Hi,

No one can stop anyone from toying around...it's your money.

Quote:

BTW, what do you think about the EH KT88 ? same s**t as Svet's ?
Quite likely the same tubes plus some added value perhaps...

Cheers,;)

Guydot 8th June 2003 12:09 AM

I actually heard users of the EH KT88 say it is remarkably good and that it's close to the old GEC's, or at least closer than the Svet's - guess that's something to try one of these days :)

Cheers,
Guy.

yuval 8th June 2003 07:25 AM

fancy GECs cost quiet a bit, I wonder if anyone really did make a direct comparison between the EH and GEC, does it worth the extra $ ... anyway NOS tubes are to disappear someday so maybe it's better getting used to russian subs ;)

clivetjm 8th June 2003 12:17 PM

Yuval,

I swapped the Edicrons in my WAD KaT34 for the National 5U4GB. Being the GB they drop voltage by an extra 6 volts (or should, I've not measured it yet). I found that they give a big improvement, a lot of "mush" is removed. Perhaps the bass is a touch less prominent due to the extra mid and top-end detail. Still plenty of bass though. The quality of the bass did not change (fortunately).

Whilst you won't turn a bad amp into a good one with these rectifiers, I certainly experienced a very worthwhile improvement. The sort of difference you get with swapping from an avaerge sounding output tube to a good one.

Clive

Le Basseur 14th June 2003 06:40 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a 5R4WGB.Even the recent products (Cetron samples being sold by Triode Electronics) are a killer!