From stereo to monoblocks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2003, 01:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question From stereo to monoblocks

Hi all,

I have a question:

If i have a stereo design, i.e a common power supply, and i want to configure a new PS, which is identical in design to the current one, but serves only on e channel, so i just cut current rating in half? the voltages don't change so, as far as i understand (and i'm a novice), the only thing that'll change is how much current is drawn by the circuit: only one channel instead of 2, hence half the current draw.

I'd love to be corrected if i am wrong or if i need to consider other issues before making such a move, i.e filter networks (RC's) etc.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Guy.
Old 7th June 2003, 03:59 AM   #2
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

It will depend on a variety of factors such as the class of amplifier / how over-rated or under-rated the power supply is etc. Do you have a schematic?
Old 7th June 2003, 04:23 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: From stereo to monoblocks

Quote:
Originally posted by Guydot
hence half the current draw.
In the simplest of senses yes... but it rarely hurts to have a bigger power supply...

dave
Old 7th June 2003, 01:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,

I enclose a Jpeg of the circuit and it's PS, i'd appreciate any help you may be able to provide.

Cheers,
Guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp circuit.jpg (66.5 KB, 550 views)
Old 7th June 2003, 02:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh and the amp is operating in Class A.

I also want to mention that i have no problem giving each PS the original current capabilities since i do not yet have the power transformers and they will be custom made by Bartolucci, so i have no problem spacifying whatever i want

Guy.
Old 7th June 2003, 05:24 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Whirled Audio Design

Isn't that the Whirled Audio Design KiT88 amplifier from February 2000?
Old 7th June 2003, 08:35 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why Whirled?

And yes it is.
Old 7th June 2003, 08:44 PM   #8
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Why Whirled?
Just EC8010s warped sense of humour?

Do you actually plan to build this amp as dual monoblocks or did you built the kit and want to transform it now?

If you intend to build from scratch from the diagram but as a pair of monoblocks I'd keep the xformer specs as is with the exception of the heater secondary.
There, I'd just specify halve the current rating.

The B+ will likely be a few volts higher but that can easily be fixed and by beefing up the PSU caps you'll end up with a nice pair of amps.

Cheers,
Old 7th June 2003, 09:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I do have this amp as a kit, but i'm doing a rebuild of the design incorporating several upgrades, the most dramatic (i hope ) of them are massive Bartolucci OPT's (10Hz-45Khz -3db point - not bad i recon ). Another change is putting voltage regulators on all HT lines and the KT88 bias in hope it'll be a worthy investment

I had a "fantasy" about transforming the input stage into a differential amp stage with an SE output so it can receive a balanced signal feed (i might have to connect it using pretty lengthy cables), but since i don't feel comfortable with the needed knowledge and experience there's a good chance i'll drop that ambition

Thanks again for all your replies.

Cheers,
Guy.
Old 7th June 2003, 09:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Another change is putting voltage regulators on all HT lines and the KT88 bias in hope it'll be a worthy investment
I don't think it's worth it if your amp is actually running in class A already.
If you build a really stiff regulator for a class A amp the main advantage is PSI isolation, wich is, of course, not a bad thing to have.

Still if you want to implement regulation, don't forget that no regulator can regulate properly without dropping voltage.

With tubes that means loosing 50 volts at least across the regulator.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!