• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Japanese OPTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear All,

I am struggling to choose a no compromise OPT for my Tubelab SE 300B.

The candidates are:

Tango FC-30-3.5S
Hasimoto H 30-3.5S
Hasimoto H 20-3.5S
James 6123H

I tried a pair of James and they are not bad, so I am tempted to try something different. Do you have any experience with this iron ?

Thanks,

Davide

I am in the same situation and finding it hard to decide.

Tango and Hashimoto are great no compromise options, but man, pricey. Also along those lines might be Silk.
They have a good "shootout" on the silk site SACThailand, if you are interested and they perform well compared to the Tango and Hashimoto and much better (in my interpretation) than the James.
Price would be good, too, except shipping adds another $100.

Cost-wise I am leaning to the James. Although maybe not quite in league with the others, there have been numerous other good impressions on this site. Which means a lot to me anyway.:cool:

I have also been looking at the following two on e-bay. Look interesting. Price may be ok. Good reviews or at least stats.
I would really like any opinions on them too.

BTW- don't worry about me should you decide one of them is to your liking. I don't call dibs on them by any means.

Output Transformer Single Ended 25 Watts 40 Hz @ 80 mA - eBay (item 170393788196 end time Mar-11-10 09:14:38 PST)

Sophia Electric 300B output transformers for WE 91 amp - eBay (item 150413754984 end time Mar-14-10 10:17:20 PDT)

thanks for opening this thread!:D

I did not include Tamura, as their prices, even in Japan, are unbelivable !!!

So I remain with Tango or Hasimoto. By the way they do not have big fantasy in giving names to transformers :)

Tango FC-30-3.5S
Hasimoto H 30-3.5S

Let's try another way: do you think is worth going for the 30 W models or the 20 W is more than enought ? From a 300 B I don't think more than 20 W are coming out, but maybe there is some other reason to choose a bigger OPT.

Best Regards,

Davide

Yes, I got them in Hino Audio. The guy is very friendly, speak English, and did not push me to buy the most expensive one.
Nighuchi trans has exactly the same prices and more availability, I have to wait until Friday, not a big deal, as I am not in town anyway.

I am traveling like crazy, but I did not forget the idea of the Tokyo meeting. When are you leaving ? Are you going back to US?

D.

Do you mind posting what they set you back? I'm going to be leaving Japan soon and I'm wondering if its worth picking up a pair before I leave. Did you get them in Akihabara?

If they weren't so heavy I'd say bring a few more back;)

I am still in decision mode, haven't yet decided, and everyone' opinion and cost tolerance is different.

I hear very different opinions on the Silk transformer but their website has good looking data. What are some thoughts?

Yes, I got them in Hino Audio. The guy is very friendly, speak English, and did not push me to buy the most expensive one.
Nighuchi trans has exactly the same prices and more availability, I have to wait until Friday, not a big deal, as I am not in town anyway.

I am traveling like crazy, but I did not forget the idea of the Tokyo meeting. When are you leaving ? Are you going back to US?

D.

This next move is taking me to Berlin, Germany; probably won't be back in the US for several more years.

I googled Hino Audio and that looks like a pretty awesome shop; I need to visit before I leave. I tried to find something on Nighuchi transformers, but no luck. Is Hino difficult to find? I've been dying to find a decent hifi shop here with someone that speaks English. I know, its bad form to live here for so long and not learn the language but I already speak Mandarin and German and that's all my American brain can hold! You Europeans can learn/speak 10 languages, but for us Americans, 2 or 3 is a lot! I'll have to track down that shop. Is it hard to find? I'd still love to do a Tokyo meeting and I should be here until the end of March.

On the Silk OPT's; I've got a pair that I'm planning on using for my 6V6 Musical Machine and they look to be pretty awesome. It will be several months before I get to build (after the move) but if they sound as good as they look (which everyone seems to think they do) I should be in for a treat.

Reactions: 1 user
Cost estimates (shipped to Denver):

Hashimoto H-30-3.5s $800
Tango FC-30-3.5s $800
Hashimoto H-20-3.5s $550
Tango XE-20s $510
Sophia Electric 9103 $470
Silk S325 $426
Sophia Electric 9101 $420
Lundahl 1664 $310
James 6123H $280

Hmmm... For me I am comfortable in the price range of the last 4 of the list. Leaning to the Silk, but would like to hear more about the Sophia Electric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.