• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Traductor Please !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a translation, how do you called in english the "thing" who control the quality of tubes:

--valves meter ?
--tubes meter ?
etc...etc...

I want a buid one, but I don´t know how you call it...
Or maybe you can give me plans, direction, e.mail etc...etc... for make one

thanks

Valve tester

I suppose one of the classic designs such as AVO or Taylor could be partially copied for measuring anode current and gm . Measuring leakage would be another matter and would complicate the design greatly . If using only 6.3V and 12.6V filaments and anode/screen voltage of 100 and 250 , it could be built very simply . Most types could be tested this way . The main disadvantage to a DIY design is calibration and how to implement each socket/pinout (I would suggest a single octal socket and build an adapter for each type)

316a

Re: Do you need one?

dhaen said:

I'm a user:
Substitution is the best method for me.
I've usually determined that one is faulty (by voltage measurements) before removing it.
Of course that only verifies that it is good under the present condition.

For a seller: A tester is essential.

Cheers,

I tester is useful for to test a tube for shorts before putting it in circuit...where it can cause serious damage...

I use a tester and i'm not a seller...;)

I wanted to make one in case of recuparation af old valves, and avoid making a amp with bad valves.

I test it before make it...

But also I reealise it´s imposible to have any plans on the net..I was looking and looking and nothing

PLEASE, if you have any ideas, let me know

Thanks in advance

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Tesatador para tubos electricos.

Ola!,

No necessitara construir este testador lo que es cosa bastante complicada, seria mucho mas facil comprarlo en los Estados Unidos o en Inglaterra, por ejemplo.

Usted deberia tener cuenta de la tension red AC de los U.S. que no corresponde con la nuestra.

En los U.S. se utilisan 115/120VAC y en Europa 220/240 VAC., sin duda lo sabe ya usted.

Marcas connocidas son AVO, Hickok y muchas otros...
Lo mejor seria, en mi opininion de comprar algo mas recen como este que hacen la gente de Trancendent Audio.
Si necessita mas informacion, por favor, que usted lo diga.

Con mucho gusto y desculpe usted mi Espagnol llenado de faltas,

English translation for other members on request. ( I'm feeling laZ)

Cheers,;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There a couple "tester" kits on the market. Hagerman & Rosenblitz to name the 2 i know.

I have also seen a chapter in an old radio manual on building test rigs for tubes. And attached is a pic of a simple tester from a letter to the editor in Glass Audio .

dave

Attachments

• simpletubetesters.gif
    simpletubetesters.gif
    53.1 KB · Views: 194
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Thanks Dave,

I had completely forgotten about that GA article, it has its' limitations though...then again most testers can't test all valves anyway.

Whether it's cheaper to build than to buy an old/new tester is open to debate IMHO.

Personally I have a pair of Hickock TV7s and I wouldn't want to have to live without them.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

How many languages do you know?

Five, allowing some refreshment courses and keeping in mind you're never going to reach any level close to your mother tongue.

IME, when you can make jokes in a language other than your mother tongue, you can safely say you speak it.

BTW, an aunt mine taught 19 different languages at university...one good reason for me to take a low profile.;)

In the math department I really admire guys like our young Tim though (Schematic something), promising young chap.
Just 16 and already blowing torches at the elder...;)

Thank you for enquiring though,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.