• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Point to point or use a PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well traditionally, tubes circuits have used point to point.

Well it's ugly for me and hard to "debug" if there are problems in the circuit. Is it possible for me to use a PCB for th resistors/caps and other parts and connect the respected points to the tube pins using wires? Any negative effect on using a PCB?

Thanks for the replies.

Jayel

Not sure where this is going..

Originally posted by dhaen:
Debugging? A hell of a lot easier with P2P!

This is subjective and since I've built circuits only on PCBs/breadboards for the past 10 yrs, it's easier for me.
Well, I have found considerable difficulty moving PCB traces:cannotbe:

Seriously, it is possible to get a better job all round with P2P.
Oh, and in case you think I'm a luddite, and not "PCB aware", here's one of mine:
Here's one of mine (not valve though)

Cheers,;)

edit: typo corrected.

jarthel said:
what if I twisted pair (the other wire connected to ground) for every wire going into the tube socket pins?

I guess this would help. right?

Not at all; Possibly the worst thing you could do. High impedance circuitry is sensitive to even small capacitance.

Have a look at the pictures of kit built by others to get some idea of the best (established) techniques. You are unlikely to better them, until you gain considerable experience yourself. So you may as well follow them.

Cheers,

Wardsweb: Agreed. Analyze each circuit node for what kind of operating conditions it wants (constant impedance, low capacitance, shielding etc.), and give it a suitable environment.

I primarily rely on four-layer pcb construction (including ground and power planes), but add special structures (isolated stand-offs, p2p, floating isolated pads etc.) wherever appropriate.

hth, jonathan carr

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Whichever you like

I use PCBs and P2P. They both have their advantages. PCBs can be good for RIAA stages because a double-sided PCB allows a ground plane. In the end, my choice is usually enforced by the components I want to use - some are designed for PCBs, others for P2P.

Downside for PCBs is the poorer dielectric (FR4 vs air).

What's far more important is careful layout...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.