Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Change EL84 from Triode to Ultra linear
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
mcgaag is offline mcgaag  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Change EL84 from Triode to Ultra linear

I recently built this amp. Great sound but it's a little low on output power.

The opt's i use have primary windings of 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 Kohm. Now i only use the 4.5 K one. Would it be possible to use one of these windings for the ultra linear tab? If so, I suppose the 2.5K would be the best option? And do i need to make changes to the design or is removing the 100K resistor and connecting the ul tab instead?

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84sexun_jpg.jpg (65.0 KB, 732 views)
Old 11th February 2010, 11:32 AM   #2
Allen Wright is offline Allen Wright  Switzerland
R.I.P.

Yes you could use these taps for U/L, but the sound quality will vanish!

I dislike U/L intensly. Stay with triode, and build a bigger triode amp for mre power.

Regards, Allen
Old 11th February 2010, 12:19 PM   #3
mcgaag is offline mcgaag  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks Allen.

I am going to use a switch so i can select the mode i want to use. This is a learning project for me and this way i can hear what is does to the sound.

I am planning on building a nice KT88 se amp. But i haven't decided witch one jet.
Old 11th February 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Kashmire is offline Kashmire  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the sound quality will vanish! ... I dislike U/L intensely
I thought so, too. Until I attached my EL84 amplifier to my Triangle Acoustics loudspeakers. These speakers much prefer Pentode connection. Even UL sounds much better than Triode mode. I originally built the amplifier to operate in Triode mode. I thought it sounded good. When I experimented and moved the connection to UL or Pentode mode, the sound greatly improved.

I learned some lessons:

1. I believed the common wisdom that Triode mode was always better. I'm glad I experimented with UL and Pentode modes, because it proved the hypothesis was wrong.
2. I'm glad I experimented with the other modes, because it greatly improved both the amplifier's sound and my knowledge.
3. Common wisdom philosophies are commonly wrong ... "only such-and-such configuration is best" ... or "single-ended amplifiers always are superior to push-pull amplifiers".
4. Experience teaches us to disregard these types of common wisdom, and experiment with configurations that mainstream audiophiles reject.
Old 11th February 2010, 02:19 PM   #5
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How about running pure pentode mode and Schading things up for better than triode linearity
Old 11th February 2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmire View Post
I thought so, too. Until I attached my EL84 amplifier to my Triangle Acoustics loudspeakers. These speakers much prefer Pentode connection. Even UL sounds much better than Triode mode. I originally built the amplifier to operate in Triode mode. I thought it sounded good. When I experimented and moved the connection to UL or Pentode mode, the sound greatly improved.

I learned some lessons:

1. I believed the common wisdom that Triode mode was always better. I'm glad I experimented with UL and Pentode modes, because it proved the hypothesis was wrong.
2. I'm glad I experimented with the other modes, because it greatly improved both the amplifier's sound and my knowledge.
3. Common wisdom philosophies are commonly wrong ... "only such-and-such configuration is best" ... or "single-ended amplifiers always are superior to push-pull amplifiers".
4. Experience teaches us to disregard these types of common wisdom, and experiment with configurations that mainstream audiophiles reject.

This post is right on target. One size DOES NOT fit all. Synergy between various elements in the playback chain is what we are searching for.
Old 11th February 2010, 04:26 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd use the 3.5K tap instead of the 2.5K tap, otherwise it seems worth a shot.
Switch is a good idea, observe switch voltage ratings though..
Old 25th March 2011, 05:21 AM   #8
platplaas is offline platplaas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I am using a 6a 125v switch for selecting between pentode and ultralinear. Is this an issue?
Old 25th March 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
artosalo is offline artosalo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I learned some lessons:

To read this is like good music to my ears.
Old 25th March 2011, 11:34 AM   #10
Miniwatt is offline Miniwatt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgaag View Post
I recently built this amp. Great sound but it's a little low on output power.
I'm curious if you will be able to notice the increase in power..

Change EL84 from Triode to Ultra linearHide this!Advertise here!